"Feet... are the best part of any reveal"IRyS

[Live] KIRSCHEPOSTING

Punished Anime Discusser

Early Adopter
Sometimes I really wonder if I played the same Alan Wake 2 as she did, as I played through it twice and the only "DEI moment" I remember is Saga having a mental breakdown and saying she doesn't want any rich white men writing her life story.

Spergatory

Early Adopter
Sometimes I really wonder if I played the same Alan Wake 2 as she did, as I played through it twice and the only "DEI moment" I remember is Saga having a mental breakdown and saying she doesn't want any rich white men writing her life story.
I think it's mostly that the game isn't solely focused on Alan Wake and franchises having "strong black independent female" charcters brought in is seen as lazy and looking for brownie points. That's what I kinda gathered at least but I haven't played it through myself and not watched all of Kirsche's playthrough of it.

PleaseCheckYourReceipts

I think it's mostly that the game isn't solely focused on Alan Wake and franchises having "strong black independent female" charcters brought in is seen as lazy and looking for brownie points. That's what I kinda gathered at least but I haven't played it through myself and not watched all of Kirsche's playthrough of it.

I think most of it is window dressing, but I think it's important to remember just how much of the stupidity we're just used to seeing and it not really registering. Though the primary sin is simply making a lead in fits right into the exact same era of "lowest demographic to play games by % and Total in modern economics" era.

Punished Anime Discusser

Early Adopter
I think it's mostly that the game isn't solely focused on Alan Wake and franchises having "strong black independent female" charcters brought in is seen as lazy and looking for brownie points.
It's crazy, because the entire game involves her getting completely outplayed by the villain until her boomer grandfather, uncle and Alan tell her how to not get outplayed.

John Vtuber👁️

Sentient Eyeball, Primarch of Hag Pride Worldwide
Certified Manwhore
#StopChuubaHate

reinigen

Dang it
Ward Security

There's also the fact that Saga Anderson had already been featured in other media as a white woman, and was race swapped for Alan Wake 2 -

i seem to remember there's a bunch of incidental conversations with NPCs around the game that are most assuredly "woke" in their tone and language used. Talks of privilege and such.

Security

irc.rizon.net #TheVirtualAsylum
Once you get enough experience, you can smell out the woke of something with 98% accuracy.

Just looking at Alan Wake II from afar, it was incredibly obvious.

Thomas Talus

Εκ λόγου άλλος εκβαίνει λόγος
Early Adopter
The first footage I saw of AW2 was the protag talking with a black couple about their horrible experience with discrimination or something along those lines.

Punished Anime Discusser

Early Adopter
There's also the fact that Saga Anderson had already been featured in other media as a white woman, and was race swapped for Alan Wake 2 -

i seem to remember there's a bunch of incidental conversations with NPCs around the game that are most assuredly "woke" in their tone and language used. Talks of privilege and such.
The race swap I can't defend. They did say that the actress in that Quantum Break easter egg was just someone who they had at the studio for something else that day, so they just recorded it like that, but who knows. My best guess is that they raceswapped her because they already cast David Harewood as Mr Door, and chose to imply that she's his daughter by making them the only two important black characters, and they couldn't make her mother black without having to rewrite and redo too much of the lore.

As for the minor characters that don't even have names or subtitles, all I remember is the guy who talks to his boat like it was his wife, and the biker chick who has the standard "I'm too old for this shit" spiel. Oh, and the old man who works for Big Sauna, and tries to get you to install one in your home.

There's also the lesbian FBC agent, but it's alright, because her and Alex Casey arguing about their ex-wives was actually funny.
The first footage I saw of AW2 was the protag talking with a black couple about their horrible experience with discrimination or something along those lines.
There's the black couple that distrusts you because you're a fed for a grand total of two lines of dialogue before they decide to cooperate.

Last edited:

Security

The race swap I can't defend. They did say that the actress in that Quantum Break easter egg was just someone who they had at the studio for something else that day, so they just recorded it like that, but who knows. My best guess is that they raceswapped her because they already cast David Harewood as Mr Door, and chose to imply that she's his daughter by making them the only two important black characters, and they couldn't make her mother black without having to rewrite and redo too much of the lore.

As for the minor characters that don't even have names or subtitles, all I remember is the guy who talks to his boat like it was his wife, and the biker chick who has the standard "I'm too old for this shit" spiel. Oh, and the old man who works for Big Sauna, and tries to get you to install one in your home.

There's also the lesbian FBC agent, but it's alright, because her and Alex Casey arguing about their ex-wives was actually funny.

There's the black couple that distrusts you because you're a fed for a grand total of two lines of dialogue before they decide to cooperate.

There's only a little bit of rat shit in my food, it's still fine!

Punished Anime Discusser

Early Adopter
There's only a little bit of rat shit in my food, it's still fine!
If the game is good, and the >pandering characters are actually written as people instead of SHIIEEEEET NIGGA BIX NOOD MUHFUGGA, I don't actually care that much.

John Vtuber👁️

Certified Manwhore
I wanted Kirsche to play more of Alan Wake 2 so that we have a solid ten-minute clip of her malding, when it's revealed that the cultists - and everyone in this "backwards town" - are actually an allegory for MAGA supporters, in the year of our lord 2023, from a culture primarily based on finland:

aw2 drumf.png

Do you get it? You know they're evil, because they said the orange man thing, who is also the most evil thing in the world! Do you get it? DO YOU GET IT-

Superduper Samurai

Early Adopter
I wanted Kirsche to play more of Alan Wake 2 so that we have a solid ten-minute clip of her malding, when it's revealed that the cultists - and everyone in this "backwards town" - are actually an allegory for MAGA supporters, in the year of our lord 2023, from a culture primarily based on finland:

View attachment 75583

Do you get it? You know they're evil, because they said the orange man thing, who is also the most evil thing in the world! Do you get it? DO YOU GET IT-
Wasnt this game a financial bomb even though all game awards/events fellated it?

John Vtuber👁️

Certified Manwhore
Wasnt this game a financial bomb even though all game awards/events fellated it?

it was also referenced as a smashing success in the latest summer game show as well, yes!

please look forward to that epic musical number making an appearance at this year's game's awards as well (it's so iconic, believe us)

Punished Anime Discusser

Early Adopter

View attachment 75583

Brother...I...
The cult are revealed to be the good guys all along later in the game.

John Vtuber👁️

Certified Manwhore
Brother...I...

and that doesn't change how they did everything they could to portray them as American MAGA supporters before then, yes!

Security

and that doesn't change how they did everything they could to portray them as American MAGA supporters before then, yes!

All this is just telling me a) the game's garbage, and b) of course it is, the writing alone shows it.

UberSoldat

Brosnan Pierce Brosnan

God's Strongest Smartass
Dizzy's Husband
Brother...I...
I have no horse in this, but that kind of sounds like the Far Cry formula. Where all the games except for 1 and Primal were like "oh shit I've been fighting for the bad guys the whole time"

Like I've played Alan Wake and it's little spinoff and I'm just kind of sitting here wondering now about all of this lol.

Punished Anime Discusser

Early Adopter
I have no horse in this, but that kind of sounds like the Far Cry formula. Where all the games except for 1 and Primal were like "oh shit I've been fighting for the bad guys the whole time"

Like I've played Alan Wake and it's little spinoff and I'm just kind of sitting here wondering now about all of this lol.
Not really. There's no real bad guys in the game beyond Scratch and the dark presence. Saga assumes the cult is evil because that's the image they played up to keep people away from the lake and woods surrounding it, but it turns out they just killed people who were taken by the dark presence before they could hurt anyone else. I guess the closest you get to that is the reveal that Scratch was always a part of Alan because Alan was always a sperg with anger management issues.

I mean, you can say that Saga and Casey are bad guys because they're dirty feds, and that Alan is a bad guy because he writes shitty crime novels for middle-aged moms.

Top Bottom