"Ami Yoshiko as unfortunately unnamed fridged cyborg"Fulgur Ovid

Banter/Off-topic Thread & Community Stoning Platform

Helmet-kun Backwards

I can't stop repeating words in longposts :(

Koronesuki

X-Potato
Okay, this is one of my favourite pieces of art, "The Great Red Dragon" by Keith Parkinson:
View attachment 80952

You'll notice that there's an incredible amount of detail here, and obviously that detail would have taken many, many hours to draw, especially since it was done by hand. If someone wanted to create a piece of art inspired by this, they would no doubt have to draw the dragon themselves to get the pose and appearance just right, to properly convey the menace and danger the dragon poses. However, I don't see any reason that same person wouldn't consider using an AI to help with drawing the loot in front of the dragon, or for drawing the texture or background in the caverns behind the dragon. There's a lot of work there and if we've gone from lumpy, misshapen lions to "oh, the shadows and perspective lines are wrong" in less than three years, I have no doubt that AI art in the near future is going to be able to do stuff like rock textures or loot, if it can't do it already.
Even if AI had been available, Parkinson still would have done it by hand, and it would still look better.

RestlessRain

Early Adopter
Even if AI had been available, Parkinson still would have done it by hand, and it would still look better.
I'm not so sure about that.
Keith’s thoughts on this piece: “This was the cover to Dungeon magazine #1. Need I say more? I’ll take the silence as a yes. This was done during my “paint a billion objects in the foreground” period. Painting that amount of anything takes a lot of time. Would I do it again? Not in the literal sense. Since this piece was done, I’ve learned faster and more effective ways to suggest that amount of detail without actually painting every single bead. Instead, I’d focus more time and attention on the dragon, and then with all the extra time left over, I’d take a nap.”

Koronesuki

X-Potato
Eh, maybe you're right. I'm glad he did it by hand though. AI can't duplicate Parkinson's talent; maybe someday, but we're not there yet.

RestlessRain

Early Adopter
Sorry to interrupt this thoughtful discussion, but I'm here to bring you spicy shitposts:

1729352490541.png

JellyKusa

Early Adopter
:whatastory:im actually losing air to the words bird boning:whatastory:
I know someone who would like to bone a bird, but unfortunately Nerissa lacks a tool

Top Bottom