"Listen, lady. I've been gooning all night watching you eat a margherita pizza, from opening to closing time. This is not the time for you to start feeling embarrassed"Randon Neuring

Vidya Games Thread

God's Strongest Dragoon

That said, I have zero clue how Japanese & French or Canadian relationships are right now. If they were bad, this actually could escalate to an "international issue".
From my understanding, Japanese and French relations have always been largely positive since the 80s. France is one of the few countries that picked up on Japanese pop culture really fast. Manga actually became really big in France way faster than all the other Western countries because the French largely didn't care for a lot of American comic books. I believe they have the biggest manga market in Europe and #2 worldwide unless that has changed in recent years. Some of the first English translations of JoJo were translations from French.

In terms of non-otaku stuff, I know the French and Japanese have been collaborating on nuclear stuff recently.

The Rrat

Phoneposting, Rat-loving menace
Early Adopter
So probably going to go no where but Ubisoft now got the Japanese government attention.

And what? Wag their finger at France for allowing Ubi to make the game? Sounds like typical political theatrics to me. Also, did this tard really pronounce Diet as "dee-yacht"?

Thomas Talus

Εκ λόγου άλλος εκβαίνει λόγος
Early Adopter
In terms of non-otaku stuff, I know the French and Japanese have been collaborating on nuclear stuff recently.
The new French gov't might be putting the kibosh on that, I know they've said they want to ditch nuclear.

ValkyrieAce

in a toxic relationship with IRyS

LinearMotorGun

Technically an airgun
Dark Souls 2 had the pinnacle of Souls PVP and they made it worse with every patch. From just has no idea what they are doing with the multiplayer in their games. Invasions and covenants being utterly pointless in ER just nails home that fact. The best part of DS2 was how interesting the covenants were and both DS3 and ER failed to expand on the idea.
Idk I liked being a mound-maker and then using Dragonslayer greataxe falling bolt slam killing the host and fellow invaders at the same time

PleaseCheckYourReceipts

Xuhle

And what? Wag their finger at France for allowing Ubi to make the game? Sounds like typical political theatrics to me. Also, did this tard really pronounce Diet as "dee-yacht"?
I'm expecting it to be nothing as per usual. At worst Ubisoft might be fined if I had to hazard a guess at what they will do.

Stunned But Dumb

Is my first preorder in years going to be because Gura, Kiara, and Irys will stand around and make funny voices at me if I do? Am I now that shallow and simple?

Xuhle

So random thought what are the odds that Ubisoft try to pull stuff they did with AC Shadows and try the same thing with AC Jade which is supposed to be set in China. Now Jade is supposed to be a mobile arpg but I'm sure Ubisoft is trying to get some of the Chinese market.

Please Ubisoft find the one random black guy in China and loose all that market share you were hoping for.

PleaseCheckYourReceipts

So random thought what are the odds that Ubisoft try to pull stuff they did with AC Shadows and try the same thing with AC Jade which is supposed to be set in China. Now Jade is supposed to be a mobile arpg but I'm sure Ubisoft is trying to get some of the Chinese market.

Please Ubisoft find the one random black guy in China and loose all that market share you were hoping for.
Jade will be the most absolutely pro-CCP stuff they can get away with. Because the ChiComs have zero qualms about banning them instantly if they're being insulted. That's part of the issue with most of the general market for a lot of media right now. There's really no one organized to bully the bigoted morons relentlessly.

Xuhle

Jade will be the most absolutely pro-CCP stuff they can get away with. Because the ChiComs have zero qualms about banning them instantly if they're being insulted. That's part of the issue with most of the general market for a lot of media right now. There's really no one organized to bully the bigoted morons relentlessly.
Genuine question how do make a lot of pro-ccp in feudal China? Like I don't disagree but you also need to remember that the idiots who are running Ubisoft don't care for the mighty dollar.

Superduper Samurai

Early Adopter
Genuine question how do make a lot of pro-ccp in feudal China? Like I don't disagree but you also need to remember that the idiots who are running Ubisoft don't care for the mighty dollar.
easy, just portray a wholesome chungus peasant revolution overthrowing the decadent nobility

The Rrat

Phoneposting, Rat-loving menace
Early Adopter
Is my first preorder in years going to be because Gura, Kiara, and Irys will stand around and make funny voices at me if I do? Am I now that shallow and simple?
You don't have to preorder. They come with every purchase of the game through the end of the year.

PleaseCheckYourReceipts

Glory to the Peasants and Down with the Qing. Surprisingly, not actually that hard.

RestlessRain

Early Adopter
Have you ever tried an Earth Defense Force game before? This is just the game where you give the franchise a shot, I played EDF 5 and it was pretty fun. Maybe you'll like the franchise too.

IdenticalPlateaus

That said, I have zero clue how Japanese & French or Canadian relationships are right now. If they were bad, this actually could escalate to an "international issue".
Most of this stuff is just grandstanding but it is particularly funny in this case. The Japanese live in the most fragile of glass when it comes to 'respecting' the historical / fictional figures of other countries. I'm not into Fate-fag but I feel like France should just hold up a picture of everyone's favourite trap and tell them to fuck off. And that's the tame shit, I know for a fact that there are Japanese games out there with gender-bent Napoleon getting railed. Just a virtue signalling waste of everyone's time and money, that's politics I guess.

Superduper Samurai

Early Adopter
Most of this stuff is just grandstanding but it is particularly funny in this case. The Japanese live in the most fragile of glass when it comes to 'respecting' the historical / fictional figures of other countries. I'm not into Fate-fag but I feel like France should just hold up a picture of everyone's favourite trap and tell them to fuck off. And that's the tame shit, I know for a fact that there are Japanese games out there with gender-bent Napoleon getting railed. Just a virtue signalling waste of everyone's time and money, that's politics I guess.
I think a slight issue is that Fate didnt LARP as any sort of historically authentic series while AssCreed has always had that faggy tinge of wanting to represent certain periods of history the way the writers wanted them to, the fact that the Wikipedia page was quickly altered to justify Yasuke was also a sour point for some, its not a high standard but for many its a "yo wtf nigga"

Thomas Talus

Εκ λόγου άλλος εκβαίνει λόγος
Early Adopter
The CCP has been on a big "glorious Chinese history" kick, hence their boosting of Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) at every available opportunity. Have a strong and wise Emperor (Xi) who is beset by foreign invaders (US) and failed by greedy nobles and bureaucrats, supported by noble warriors and smart, selfless bureaucrats. Glory to the eternal Chinese state and its Mandate of Heaven, etc.

Zizara

No faith in Humanity
Dizzy's Wife
I think a slight issue is that Fate didnt LARP as any sort of historically authentic series while AssCreed has always had that faggy tinge of wanting to represent certain periods of history the way the writers wanted them to, the fact that the Wikipedia page was quickly altered to justify Yasuke was also a sour point for some, its not a high standard but for many its a "yo wtf nigga"
On the other hand I'd say the Fate series is infinitely more tasteless and offensive than what Asassins Creed is doing here. Messing with and genderbending not only major figures of myth and folklore but actual real-life historical figures from other cultures so they can make money from hypersexualising them is nakedly (heh) exploitative. To the extent I can agree with the idea of cultural appropriation at all, Fate is maybe the number 1 example.
Yasuke, who is a real historical figure as presented, is "only" suspect due to the shady motives of the people writing and producing the game by comparison.

Superduper Samurai

Early Adopter
On the other hand I'd say the Fate series is infinitely more tasteless and offensive than what Asassins Creed is doing here. Messing with and genderbending not only major figures of myth and folklore but actual real-life historical figures from other cultures so they can make money from hypersexualising them is nakedly (heh) exploitative. To the extent I can agree with the idea of cultural appropriation at all, Fate is maybe the number 1 example.
Yasuke, who is a real historical figure as presented, is "only" suspect due to the shady motives of the people writing and producing the game by comparison.
I think my view is that Fate doesnt want to larp having any kind of authenticity to the mythological or histroical figures it genderbends and turns into otaku faggots or some shit

AssCreed played around with filling in the gaps in historical records by using its templar and assasin OCs , but otherwise did pretty basic attempts to depict certain events, locations or eras with some degree of historicity, you can get basic beats and even insights into random events from their depictions in the games, i dont think Fate's core series had that, while GO did have some events based on history

Lastly, i dont think Fate fans feel smug about knowing much of real events because Da Vinci is their favorite anime girl, while the whole AssCreed shadows discourse mainly got its flames of autism fanned by bizzare attempts to legitimize Yasuke because he pops up in a video game,

Last edited:
Top Bottom