"I hate dinosaurs! That's a lie, they don't know I'm autistic in this game"Zumi Dokumi

The Anime Thread

Porean

Lavender Spider Lover & Tsunderia Scholar
Early Adopter
Mahoutsukai no Yome is getting a simultaneous release using AI translation;
Is this the best Idea ever? No, i would think not, we all know the problems that AI has translating Japanese into English, and it's stupid to be pro something just because someone you dislike has the opposite opinion, however...
When idorts like this Zoey Quinn look-alike;

Are seething about it

Bad news for Mahoutsukai no Yome fans, but Lolcowlizers tearing their rainbow coloured hair out, you win some you lose some i guess.

Last edited:

Awoogers

basic ass man who loves the british funny woman
Is this the bes Idea ever? No, i would think not, we all know the problems that AI has translating Japanese into English, and it's stupid to be pro something just because someone you dislike has the opposite opinion, however...

Are seething about it

Bad news for Mahoutsukai no Yome fans, but Lolcowlizers tearing their rainbow coloured hair out, you win some you lose some i guess.

Fucking damn it why mahoutsukai no yome of all things

MrProcessor

Soldier of Godrick
Is this the best Idea ever? No, i would think not, we all know the problems that AI has translating Japanese into English, and it's stupid to be pro something just because someone you dislike has the opposite opinion, however...

Are seething about it

I think the reason why some niche manga ended up with some unprofessional lolcowlizers is because the companies don't want to spend a lot on translators. So they don't necessarily get the best people, which is why we see some very unprofessional behavior from some of them. This meant that as soon as AI was good enough, they were going to switch to it. Basically, it's part of the same problem of not wanting to hire high quality translators. It is a shame, because unlike stuff like Mushoku Tensei where the lolcowlizer censored out stuff they didn't like in the novel that people found out about when the anime aired, I haven't heard any horror stories about the translation of Mahoutsukai no Yome.

CalciumAnimal

Drink Milk
I think the reason why some niche manga ended up with some unprofessional lolcowlizers is because the companies don't want to spend a lot on translators. So they don't necessarily get the best people, which is why we see some very unprofessional behavior from some of them. This meant that as soon as AI was good enough, they were going to switch to it. Basically, it's part of the same problem of not wanting to hire high quality translators. It is a shame, because unlike stuff like Mushoku Tensei where the lolcowlizer censored out stuff they didn't like in the novel that people found out about when the anime aired, I haven't heard any horror stories about the translation of Mahoutsukai no Yome.
it's not a niche manga by any degree Ancient Magus Bride/Mahou tsukai No Yome is almost Berserk levels of fan devotion and retention

It's one of the larger properties out there and while i cannot comment on the two spinoffs it has the core story is smart and handled skillfully you are given much context to the world but nothing is fully laid out for you and it has much in common with a mystery as it does a shonen.

Like seriously the protagonist's whole deal is that their fantastic magical powers drove her parents to suicide/far away and it got so bad she sold herself into heavily symbolic slavery.

Can you tell i'm a fan? I don't have statistics but id argue it's one of the biggest manga not in Shonen Jump.

All that being said yeah this was stupid and dumb and a clear gimmick of some sort that i pray does not become a trend we already have a shit ton of lazy assholes thinking they can pop it in chat GPT and shit out a LEGIBLE (not good LEGIBLE thats how low the bar is) Translation. which they often fail I can count on one hand how many use MTL and still manage passible translations.

IF you want it's one flaw it's about a japenese woman and a british :smugpipi:

Porean

Lavender Spider Lover & Tsunderia Scholar
Early Adopter
It's a problem of scale as well, since we are getting so many simulpubs, translation companies and freelancers are bound up in work letting even the dregs get jobs above their pay-grade, and we also know that localization and translation quality have always been problematic, this is video games but I'm sure you and other reading know the absolute hack-jobs Nintendos treehouse puts out, or the more retro example of FF7, where time and character limits created interesting choices of translation and straight up mistakes.

One thing i did not bring up but is in the ANN article itself is the fact that the service used to translate Mahotsukai No Yome is the same that Bushiroad (the publisher) is already using for Ghost and Witch also a simulpub, is this company;
And the Japanese certainly prefer to pay their own if given the choice. It might be Patriotism that is at least partially behind the decision to use AI.

In pure rrat territory i have to wonder; were bushiroad burned by foreign translators they hired? Not even necessarily the quality of the translation but perhaps the difficulties of cross national or even continental communication? A Japanese company would certainly make that easier. And the speed of translation seems to be something that concerns the Japanese publisher as fan-translations are made as the manga releases, not having to wait for publishers and licencing abroad, so this could be a step in trying to prevent piracy by simply being faster. And as anyone who's read speedsubs or speedlation would know: the quality might actually improve from AI.

Last edited:

MrProcessor

Soldier of Godrick
it's not a niche manga by any degree Ancient Magus Bride/Mahou tsukai No Yome is almost Berserk levels of fan devotion and retention

It's one of the larger properties out there and while i cannot comment on the two spinoffs it has the core story is smart and handled skillfully you are given much context to the world but nothing is fully laid out for you and it has much in common with a mystery as it does a shonen.

Like seriously the protagonist's whole deal is that their fantastic magical powers drove her parents to suicide/far away and it got so bad she sold herself into heavily symbolic slavery.

Can you tell i'm a fan? I don't have statistics but id argue it's one of the biggest manga not in Shonen Jump.

All that being said yeah this was stupid and dumb and a clear gimmick of some sort that i pray does not become a trend we already have a shit ton of lazy assholes thinking they can pop it in chat GPT and shit out a LEGIBLE (not good LEGIBLE thats how low the bar is) Translation. which they often fail I can count on one hand how many use MTL and still manage passible translations.

IF you want it's one flaw it's about a japenese woman and a british :smugpipi:
I once ordered a copy of Giant Robo off of Ebay, I got it in the mail and it was a horrible AI translation that was completely unreadable. This was obviously created by some pirates in Singapore though, not a real company. Still, I haven't had good experiences with AI translation in the past.

CalciumAnimal

Drink Milk
I once ordered a copy of Giant Robo off of Ebay, I got it in the mail and it was a horrible AI translation that was completely unreadable. This was obviously created by some pirates in Singapore though, not a real company. Still, I haven't had good experiences with AI translation in the past.
Yeah i should have mentioned there are GOOD MTL translators out there (usually who use it as a assistant rather then letting it do all the work)

Tubedude

A lot of the shitty MTL translations I've run into tend to be speed-tl's by some newbie ESL group, that think they can somehow handle it when they can barely understand English in the first place.

With proper time and effort MTL can be rather decent. The recent fan translations of "Is It Odd That I Became an Adventurer Even If I Graduated From the Witchcraft Institute?" I've been reading are MTL but also very read-able.

CalciumAnimal

Drink Milk
A lot of the shitty MTL translations I've run into tend to be speed-tl's by some newbie ESL group, that think they can somehow handle it when they can barely understand English in the first place.

With proper time and effort MTL can be rather decent. The recent fan translations of "Is It Odd That I Became an Adventurer Even If I Graduated From the Witchcraft Institute?" I've been reading are MTL but also very read-able.
Rebuild World is another example as i recall. (good manga go read)

Zapan1984

hmm new Vtuber manhua dropped a few days ago and it is something:

Awoogers

hmm new Vtuber manhua dropped a few days ago and it is something:
Its an experience to say the least

Trap Supremacy

Your Local Trap (investi)Gator
Early Adopter
Now is the time for me to admit that, as Ame and Mumei (and Pippa) were all taking breaks in december, I decided instead to participate in the yearly 25 Days of /a/utism stream, starting with a rewatch of Toradora and followed by a bunch of other various shows. As that was the case I got the chance to watch quite a few shows I hadn't seen before. Here are my reviews of the ones I hadn't:

TENGEN TOPPA GURREN LAGANN: This show is possibly the most powerful anime ever. It deserves every bit of the hype it gets and more. Somehow it goes all the way through just constantly getting you deeper and deeper into it, and by the end you really feel like you're right there with the characters fighting against unstoppable forces. I cannot reccomend it enough. 10/10.
NEEDLESS: Incredibly stupid, but (for the most part) doesn't take itself seriously, and that works to its advantage. Super cool aesthetic, reminds me a lot of Guilty Gear XX stuff (especially the OST). Really, REALLY funny (and lewd in the right ways). The plot gets a bit obtuse 3/4s of the way through and there's a pretty dumb anime-orignal ending, but from what I hear the manga itself is pretty dang good, so I'll have to check that out sometime.Either way, top tier 2000s shlock. 7.5/10.
YOUJO SENKI: I now like warcrimes! In all seriousness though, a well-crafted narrative with interesting military tactic discussions and a fun exploration of an alternate universe WWI. Tanya herself is great. Solid 8/10.
THE WORLD GOD ONLY KNOWS: This was a show that I held off on watching because of bad things I heard about it, but in the end it was completely worth watching. Granted, the stream only went through the first two seasons of the show, but I am planning on watching the rest of the anime and reading the manga at some point. As far as harems go, it's 1) hilarious and 2) knows how to make a harem series without making a harem series, which means that for the most part it has zero drama surrounding it. Keima is a god-tier protagonist (heh) and Elsie and the rest of the girls are all super cute. Would reccomend. 9/10.
KAKUSHIGOTO: This was my first experience with Koji Kumeta, and overall I'd say it was a solid introduction to his work. The story is a fun, heartwarming story of a dorky father and his silly quest to keep his job (drawing a silly comedy manga) secret from his daughter. It is so well written and enjoyable, but the one black stain on it is its final episode which rushes quite a bit to get to the ending. From what I hear though, they made a movie that's worth watching as it mends the awkward pacing. As it is it's a 9/10, with a better ending I'd bump it up to 9.5/10.
GIRLS UND PANZER: Panzer Vor! This show was just plain fun. Like Youjo Senki, an interesting look into military tactics but also in a much more sport anime-ish setting. The Japanese schools that LARP as different countries are all hilarious and all of the tank battles are really well made in spite of being CGI. Another series I'd reccomend, but it might be a bit out there. Either way, 7.75/10.
MM!: I'll admit, this show is there mainly because of me needing to finish at least one silly ecchi comedy on the blocs. It's a stupid show about a guy who's absurdly masochistic to the point of insanity, and a crazy sadist who allegedly is trying to "cure" his masochism but every time just comes off moreso as trying to increase it. The other girl in the show is an extreme androphobe who always gets violent is a boy touches her - she falls in love with the main protagonist but she still has the same issue, so the relationship with them is mainly about the two of them learning to deal with each other's quirks and it's surprisingly healthy (for the most part). ...and yeah, one of the side characters is a funny crossdresser, which probably also was at least part of the reason I kept watching it. Not something I'd reccomend for everybody, but fun enough for what it is. 7/10.

Banana Hammock

Born to Sneed
Early Adopter

Awoogers

Nenélove

Menace of the Asylum
Early Adopter
Nene's Pet Latinx
Latinx/Latine

Realticule

Prime Indigenous Pipkin Pippa Appreciator.
Early Adopter
I CAN STILL FIX HER
✡︎ God's Chosen Schizo ✡︎
I never got into Konosuba, it was ok but probably should have been a one shot like the Megumin series.

Awoogers

I never got into Konosuba, it was ok but probably should have been a one shot like the Megumin series.
The megumin series didn't have the magic that konosuba had

Also this would encompass the happenings on around vol.7 on the light novel I think since Iris is shown in the trailer so we eating good

Realticule

Prime Indigenous Pipkin Pippa Appreciator.
Early Adopter
I CAN STILL FIX HER
✡︎ God's Chosen Schizo ✡︎
The megumin series didn't have the magic that konosuba had

Also this would encompass the happenings on around vol.7 on the light novel I think since Iris is shown in the trailer so we eating good
Neither were that great, and I don't think one is better than the other in a major way, but I like that one was a single season you could watch and move on while the other tried to set up a bigger world that I didn't really care about. I get if you're into it, then more seasons is ideal.

Also, these scenes

Nenélove

Menace of the Asylum
Early Adopter
Nene's Pet Latinx
Latinx/Latine
I don't get why so many people like it, all of the characters are annoying tropes. The satire and "breakin' le cliche" thing gets old by the third ridiculous misunderstanding. It's essentially a combination of 2 of the things I hate the most, pointless slice of life and self-aware isekai (all modern isekai).

"Isn't this fantasy trope idiotic?" It says while making itself into the new SHITTER trope every isekai writer now follows.

Trap Supremacy

Your Local Trap (investi)Gator
Early Adopter
I don't get why so many people like it, all of the characters are annoying tropes. The satire and "breakin' le cliche" thing gets old by the third ridiculous misunderstanding. It's essentially a combination of 2 of the things I hate the most, pointless slice of life and self-aware isekai (all modern isekai).

"Isn't this fantasy trope idiotic?" It says while making itself into the new SHITTER trope every isekai writer now follows.
People who hate Konosuba probably hate it for the same reasons people hate Seinfeld. It was mostly popular because it was the first isekai series to rag on isekai as a whole, kinda like how Seinfeld was for the "do-nothing comedy sitcom". It's mostly grandfathered in as "OK" for that reason.

For my part, I think the writing still holds up as being funny, but I also unironically enjoy slice of life and the general comedy outside of the "fantasy funny" jokes. So I can get why some would dislike it. Slice of life in general seems to be hit-or-miss with anime fans.

Last edited:
Top Bottom