"When I was a very young girl, I used to visit my grandma a lot. I was hoping she'd show me magical girl stuff, she said she'd show me something kid-friendly, it turned out to be Cutie Honey. In Cutie Honey, she would get undressed and tied up all the time, and that's how my sexual fetishes were awoken. Do you know Hutch the Honeybee? I thought it was cute how people fell into despair. Cutie Honey and Hutch planted the seeds, and my sexual fetishes began to distort, and then I became friends with a hardcore fujoshi. The things she recommended me turned me into a bigger freak than before. When I was a young kid, I couldn't understand dirty jokes, so my grandma would explain them to me, step by step. 'You know, the boys have this... but the girls have that' lol."Sakamata Chloe
  • ~1 Week Remains: Local fans of a certain pink lagomorph mold golem are attempting to finalize an anniversary project for her. Last call for contributers & artists, etc. No yabbits allowed.
  • !!!!READ THIS NOW!!!!

What is hopefully the final server backup has been implemented. I am now starting the closure process of this forum. Main boards will now be locked. The Proctor's Office will remain up solely for technical feedback. Go to the new site in order to post. Barring catastrophic problems, this cloud-based version will close on the 9th of July.
  • IMPORTANT: Users from Russia may need a VPN to access the new server. I need more data to diagnose this problem. Contact me here or on Discord if you have been blocked, so I can tell you what you need to do.

Getting Nihongo Jouzu

BlueSharkTV

Fucking Riggers
Early Adopter
Yuria's Husband
I never got a response but here it is anyways a japanese learning pack torrent (use b64)
i didn't make it so don't ask me about it because i won't know.
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

The Proctor

Manager Arc Unlocked?
Staff member

Realticule

Prime Indigenous Pipkin Pippa Appreciator.
Early Adopter
I CAN STILL FIX HER
✡︎ God's Chosen Schizo ✡︎
Something that I heard recently in a talk given by a guy who knows a dozen or so languages, was that when asked what he did when learning a new language is that he'd watch kid's shows like Peppa Pig because the language and concepts are intentionally simple and they're designed to teach people with limited skills in that language as they're for kids. The language used is also going to be more common and proper than anime (they were discussing Japanese).

Has anyone tried this? I decided to put on Peppa Pig in Japanese and while I could catch some of what was being said it was still somewhat difficult as I'm still early on and never really tried to follow a dialogue before.

Murrayしないで

Just go live!
Has anyone tried this? I decided to put on Peppa Pig in Japanese and while I could catch some of what was being said it was still somewhat difficult as I'm still early on and never really tried to follow a dialogue before.
Passive listening is pretty much the weakest way to learn. Maybe it works for polyglots but those people are freaks of nature and their advice is useful for normal people the same way Shaq's advice for dunking a basketball is useful to Verne Troyer.

That said, it could help if you make it more active by not just listening to the dialogue but repeating it back when you understand it, making an attempt to mimic the tones and inflection. If you don't understand it, stop the video and look up the confusing parts until you do, then repeat it back and continue.

Realticule

Early Adopter
I CAN STILL FIX HER
Passive listening is pretty much the weakest way to learn. Maybe it works for polyglots but those people are freaks of nature and their advice is useful for normal people the same way Shaq's advice for dunking a basketball is useful to Verne Troyer.

That said, it could help if you make it more active by not just listening to the dialogue but repeating it back when you understand it, making an attempt to mimic the tones and inflection. If you don't understand it, stop the video and look up the confusing parts until you do, then repeat it back and continue.
I think the point was less about learning it simply by that manner, but being exposed to conversation early. Right now I'm using Duolingo and I'll usually read the sentence back and try to break it down in my head, but there's a difference between that and listening to someone converse. From what I understood the idea was to start with a kids show and then progress to more complex media once you felt comfortable following the conversation.

It's also the difference of actively translating something like "kare wa zuban okai mashita" to hearing it in a flow of consciousness as part of a larger conversation.

Lesbian Solid Snake

Pettan Hag Supremacy
Something that I heard recently in a talk given by a guy who knows a dozen or so languages, was that when asked what he did when learning a new language is that he'd watch kid's shows like Peppa Pig because the language and concepts are intentionally simple and they're designed to teach people with limited skills in that language as they're for kids. The language used is also going to be more common and proper than anime (they were discussing Japanese).

It can be helpful but it can also be a miserable experience if you don't enjoy watching cartoons for babies.

Realticule

Early Adopter
I CAN STILL FIX HER
It can be helpful but it can also be a miserable experience if you don't enjoy watching cartoons for babies.
That's mostly why I'm wondering how beneficial it is as it's not exactly fun, but if it's something I can do for a short time to get into the flow of of conversational speech it might be worth it. Also if there's one of those cartoons without all the random animal noises as those were annoying enough for the 5-10 minute bit I tried watching and I'd rather avoid it if I could.

Actually, I'm kind of surprised there isn't something like that for people learning a language, something that uses simple structures and visual elements but without all the extra bits for short attention spans.

agility_

We have some serious streams to discuss 🔨
Early Adopter
Whatever gimmick comes around with bite-sized crap, it unravels as worthless because you need to produce actively in the language you're learning. Written and spoken.

vestars20

Early Adopter

agility_

Early Adopter

Realticule

Early Adopter
I CAN STILL FIX HER
Watch something you actually like while learning Japanese
That's the idea in the long run, but you need to start somewhere before you can get to the point of understanding the things you do enjoy.

yuckyyaki

Yabai enthusiast
How do I get past thinking that I don't understand what's fully being said and later realizing by checking translations or subtitles that I actually did understand what was happening/being said? I swear 90% of my time with JP now is just thinking that I must be missing something even though I know what's happening.
I have similar problems with English though so it might be another thing to add to the list of evidence that I was dropped on my head as a baby.

vestars20

Early Adopter
Might as well cross post this
Haya Tikaze

I watched her a couple times a while ago and really like her personality but can't keep up with twitch. I should go back as it's fun learning with chat and the translator bot is useful.

Some clippers who I find informative beyond basic translations
- Clips Niji and mostly ecchi stuff but useful for slang
- Clips Holo and is a dead channel. Posts some TL notes in the comments that contain details
- Clips Botan but also explains references
- A reverse translation channel - you can watch EN clips and practice reading the JP translations
- Clips of Niji, explains typical sayings or acronyms
How do I get past thinking that I don't understand what's fully being said and later realizing by checking translations or subtitles that I actually did understand what was happening/being said? I swear 90% of my time with JP now is just thinking that I must be missing something even though I know what's happening.
I have similar problems with English though so it might be another thing to add to the list of evidence that I was dropped on my head as a baby.
No answers but I thought of ya watching this stream

Last edited:

駄女神

I'm at that annoying point where I can read pretty much anything I come across but still can't understand spoken Japanese. Should've watched more anime.

agility_

Early Adopter
Subscribe to japanese streamers. They're just as cringe and cloutchasing as american ones but you have to train your ears into spoken moonspeak. And dear god they never slow down.

駄女神

Subscribe to japanese streamers. They're just as cringe and cloutchasing as american ones but you have to train your ears into spoken moonspeak. And dear god they never slow down.
I do, but streamers are exceptionally boring to watch when you don't understand what they're saying unless something particularly interesting is happening on screen.

Nenélove

N is for Nenecup
Early Adopter
Nene's Pet Latinx
Latinx/Latine
I'm at that annoying point where I can read pretty much anything I come across but still can't understand spoken Japanese. Should've watched more anime.
Isn't spoken easier than the 3 alphabets with a symbol for each word bullshit?

Murrayしないで

Just go live!
Isn't spoken easier than the 3 alphabets with a symbol for each word bullshit?

Two of the "alphabets" are trivial enough that they're not really a problem once you're two months in to Japanese 101. Kanji isn't very fun if you don't already know Chinese, yes, but the best way to learn them in my opinion is alongside the pronunciation. I think that if things are out of whack such that you can understand a spoken sentence but not write it down or vice versa, that's kind of a problem, though not an insurmountable one. I'm told that even the average Japanese person has pretty poor kanji skills nowadays due to the majority of writing being done with computers and phones which will write the characters for you as opposed to handwriting.

駄女神

agility_

Early Adopter
I do, but streamers are exceptionally boring to watch when you don't understand what they're saying unless something particularly interesting is happening on screen.
No you're not listening for comprehension, like we're having a test after watching. You have to listen for adjustment. Your brain cannot pick up any words because there's no template word sound to latch on to. Have the stream on the background while you do other stuff, this way you will start ranging close to cadence, accent, inflection and other things that later on, when you listen for matching, will help out.

Top Bottom