"You know what they say, you know, uh, my name is next to the gamer word, like the the gamer word, in the dictionary"Lottie Shinju

Banter/Off-topic Thread & Community Stoning Platform

BlueSharkTV

Fucking Riggers
Early Adopter
Yuria's Husband
But such a society of course makes people repress themselves to a very strict degree. If the media from Japan is any indication, a lot of Japanese people actually feel oppressed by the standards of society and wish to defy the norms set by them.

It might be a horrifying theory I have, but perhaps on some level the Japs admires the Brazilians for being so unashamedly brazen and bold in their nature even if it's to a detriment.
I think it's just the portrayal of the country, they only show the "good" things like the giant Jesus statue, some random beaches and the carnivals, but they never show the rest of the country which looks like the average south American shithole, If you ask a lot of people from different countries what places are among the most dangerous in the planet not many will mention Brazil because they don't know shit about that country, they may even be surprised if you tell them it's just as bad as some random place in Africa or a cartel hotspot.

God's Strongest Dragoon

It's never made sense to me since those two cultures couldn't be more different.

The japanese are timid, obsessed with following authority and not upsetting the social flow, having zillions of rules for everything, have one of the safest and most cleanly countries on earth, respect nature, are super smart, etc.

Brazilians are basically apes that look like humans, they are loud and obnoxious, filthy fucking animals who delight in crime and destitution with some of the highest murder and drug abuse on planet earth because most of them are the worst kind of mutties bred from africans and jungle natives who have not a shred of decency in their bodies.

I seriously do not understand how the nips, who hate black people, are xenophobic as shit and find a society as mild and cucked as americans as "le scary" like the modern day Neanderthals that are Brazilians. It doesn't make any sense in any context.
Modern Brazil is very different than the Brazil of ~120 years ago, which is when they immigrated. In terms of modern connections, they likely have very "misunderstood" views of the Brazilians, as they are likely looking at the Japanese Brazilians, as the Japanese Brazilians have basically segregated themselves from the rest of Brazil from what I know, as they have their own Japanese schools and newspapers in Brazil. I believe Japanese Brazilians are significantly more wealthy than any other ethnic group in Brazil. The Japanese are likely not familiar with all the negative connotations of the Brazilians like favelas, gangs, drugs, and murders.

Nenélove

Menace of the Asylum
Early Adopter
Nene's Pet Latinx
Latinx/Latine
Modern Brazil is very different than the Brazil of ~120 years ago, which is when they immigrated. In terms of modern connections, they likely have very "misunderstood" views of the Brazilians, as they are likely looking at the Japanese Brazilians, as the Japanese Brazilians have basically segregated themselves from the rest of Brazil from what I know, as they have their own Japanese schools and newspapers in Brazil. I believe Japanese Brazilians are significantly more wealthy than any other ethnic group in Brazil. The Japanese are likely not familiar with all the negative connotations of the Brazilians like favelas, gangs, drugs, and murders.
I do know that brazil's strategy for dealing with immigrants for the longest time was to send them south into the largely uninhabited (in that era) sul region, where they would hopefully disappear in the wilderness, that's why brazil's south is the whitest and richest area of the country. It also has the best arable land kek, Brazil's geography in general fucking sucks.

Last edited:

God's Strongest Dragoon

I do know that brazil's strategy for dealing with immigrants for the longest time was to send them south into the largely uninhabited (in that era) sul region, where they would hopefully disappear in the wilderness, that's why brazil's south is the whitest and richest area of the country. It also has the best arable land kek, Brazil's geography in general fucking sucks.
According to the only Japanese Brazilian I ever met, there's a whole lot of Japanese Brazilian farmers and those that do interact with the rest of Brazil usually study stuff like engineering, math, or accounting because it's easier to understand numbers than Portuguese.
:whatastory:

Helmet-kun Backwards

I can't stop repeating words in longposts :(
It's never made sense to me since those two cultures couldn't be more different.

The japanese are timid, obsessed with following authority and not upsetting the social flow, having zillions of rules for everything, have one of the safest and most cleanly countries on earth, respect nature, are super smart, etc.

Brazilians are basically apes that look like humans, they are loud and obnoxious, filthy fucking animals who delight in crime and destitution with some of the highest murder and drug abuse on planet earth because most of them are the worst kind of mutties bred from africans and jungle natives who have not a shred of decency in their bodies.

I seriously do not understand how the nips, who hate black people, are xenophobic as shit and find a society as mild and cucked as americans as "le scary" like the modern day Neanderthals that are Brazilians. It doesn't make any sense in any context.
The JP-Brazil pipeline started a very long time ago, when Japan was an authoritarian shithole and Brazil had more industrial jobs than Japan did. Once an en masse migration actually starts, it has a momentum of its own: it's much easier to move to someplace new when you already have relatives/know people/speak the language in the area. If something isn't going great with your life where you are, and cousin Jimmy is willing to introduce you to a job and let you get a fresh start? A lot of people will be willing to try moving.

Border controls aside, quality of life aside, hell even jobs aside. People are just more likely to move to places where friends and relatives have gone in the past. Once the ball starts rolling, part of the barrier to entry is gone. Once you take the other stuff into account, like QoL, job availability, and frankly relationship availability (no shortage of chinese guys trying to find white girls in the West for example), migration starts to take on very distinguishable patterns. If anything, the last ~40ish years are somewhat of an exception to the world's older rules of thumb when it comes to societal/demographic changes, and migration is a massive part of that equation.

Also there's the fact you're trying to judge a relatively small portion of a population (ie: Japanese migrants) based on our envisioned idea of Japanese culture as a whole. Migrants are migrants because they don't fit into their home nation's norms. Sometimes they can't find a fit in the home country economically, sometimes its a minority group that's being discriminated against, and sometimes they just don't like their homeland or like the place they're moving to more. Migration is an enormous amount of people, but contextually it ends up being a percent of a percent. There are a couple million Japanese in Brazil, but there are 125 million Japanese in Japan and most of their people in Brazil were born there 50 years ago. We're talking .01% actual expats each year, and many of them may be there for foreign work related to a Japanese company.

TL;DR: Migration is weird, yo. Macro-cultural norms don't always apply.

Nenélove

Menace of the Asylum
Early Adopter
Nene's Pet Latinx
Latinx/Latine
The JP-Brazil pipeline started a very long time ago, when Japan was an authoritarian shithole and Brazil had more industrial jobs than Japan did. Once an en masse migration actually starts, it has a momentum of its own: it's much easier to move to someplace new when you already have relatives/know people/speak the language in the area. If something isn't going great with your life where you are, and cousin Jimmy is willing to introduce you to a job and let you get a fresh start? A lot of people will be willing to try moving.

Border controls aside, quality of life aside, hell even jobs aside. People are just more likely to move to places where friends and relatives have gone in the past. Once the ball starts rolling, part of the barrier to entry is gone. Once you take the other stuff into account, like QoL, job availability, and frankly relationship availability (no shortage of chinese guys trying to find white girls in the West for example), migration starts to take on very distinguishable patterns. If anything, the last ~40ish years are somewhat of an exception to the world's older rules of thumb when it comes to societal/demographic changes, and migration is a massive part of that equation.

Also there's the fact you're trying to judge a relatively small portion of a population (ie: Japanese migrants) based on our envisioned idea of Japanese culture as a whole. Migrants are migrants because they don't fit into their home nation's norms. Sometimes they can't find a fit in the home country economically, sometimes its a minority group that's being discriminated against, and sometimes they just don't like their homeland or like the place they're moving to more. Migration is an enormous amount of people, but contextually it ends up being a percent of a percent. There are a couple million Japanese in Brazil, but there are 125 million Japanese in Japan and most of their people in Brazil were born there 50 years ago. We're talking .01% actual expats each year, and many of them may be there for foreign work related to a Japanese company.

TL;DR: Migration is weird, yo. Macro-cultural norms don't always apply.
Meh, it does make sense when taking japanese retardation into account, their version of other countries is like a drunken nightmare. No country which has widespread knowledge of the world would still overwhelmingly believe americans eat KFC for christmas.

TKN_Lurker

Retired Lurker
Speaking about Japan and KFC, it reminded me of this funny urban legend.
Tldr, Japanese believed Colonel Sanders cursed their baseball team because they threw his statue into the river.

21st Century Pipkin Man

rabbit's foot, vomit drawer

The Japanese and the Latinx have some kind of special relation, a sort of je ne sais quoi that they share. I believe it has something to do with the King of Fighters series.

VSoyBoy

Japanese Brazilians are the largest ethnic Japanese community outside of Japan, more than even Japanese Americans. Sao Paulo itself is the biggest concentration of Japanese outside of Japan (I believe Liberdade is the Japanese neighborhood in San Paulo). They migrated to Brazil in the late Meiji period. Brazil broke off relations during WW2 after Pearl Harbor but they went right back to receiving Japanese immigrants after the war. The Japanese immigration slowed down when Japan's economy took off in the 60s while Brazil's economy fell behind.

91cm0a.jpg

GOD'S STRONGEST BUILDERBEAR

"Shut up, Dazzle. I will clip your balls" -SB
Early Adopter
eirther way fuck brs

literally if you are into it

Audi Vide Tace

Self-Proclaimed Lurker
Geist's Second Husband
Brazil is definitely not great, but I was under the impression that the places you go in Brazil also make a large difference. The litmus test should be, has Taylor Swift performed there? If so, then some places have to be alright :smugpipi:

The Rrat

Phoneposting, Rat-loving menace
Early Adopter
It would very funny if Gura graduates right before the end of the year and has Sayu, Doki, and Mint all in the call in stream.
We'd get to see literally every fanbase pissed off and one @Saturnus eat an acrylic stand! Total TVA victory!

Helmet-kun Backwards

I can't stop repeating words in longposts :(
So I bought a stenographer keyboard recently, intending to pick it up as a hobby. Maybe eventually get to the point of live transcribing streams or something, who knows. The thing is with these keyboards is that since amateur steno is an incredibly niche hobby supplied by a bunch of guys with 3D printers working out of their basement, it's a crap-shoot to actually get what you pay for. I bought this fucking thing 6 months ago, the guy hemmed and hawed and took a long ass time to even get the thing built, much less sent.

It FINALLY gets here? The fucking backplate is on upside down. There are buttons I need to access underneath this backplate, which will allow me to flash default steno firmware to this thing (because god forbid the guy actually flash default fucking firmware to the thing he sells). Normally there are access holes for these buttons: they're in the wrong place, because upside down. I can't even practice with the normal steno software in the meantime because I run Ubuntu and steno software doesn't play nice with Wayland. There are workarounds, but they're all a pain in the ass and introduce bugs that I would have to chase down. I'm not going to switch to X11 either: I use Wayland for a reason, it is MUCH better for my gaming applications and my GPU is happier when I use it.

Now I get to immediately take apart my new keyboard, because I know for a FACT the seller will not honor a straight up return, and a fix will either not happen or take a year. I don't often fuck around with this kind of project, so I don't have any precision tools on hand to work on it. So I'm going to have to buy still more shit to open it up, and pray that nothing else is upside down or fucked up on the inside. And that I can get it put back together properly. And that the guy actually built it intending for it to be possible to work on, because if I get this board partially taken apart and it turns out something in there is riveted to the plate I am going to explode into a pink mist.

But hey, if all that goes well I will FINALLY get to start on a new hobby. Which I'm sure I will actually stick with all the way through. There is no chance this will be a project that sits around and gathers dust while I sit around and watch v-tubers to relax after 10 hour work days.

Surely.

:gunpeko:

So yeah, be very very wary if you ever decide to try out amateur stenography for whatever reason. It's not as easy to get started with as the online community for it would have you believe.

Paladin

Resident Sad Girl Enjoyer
So I bought a stenographer keyboard recently
That explains a lot. Have you tried emailing your local courthouse about buying an old machine from them or leads on where to find one? You would be surprised by what you can get from the local government by asking nicely.

Nenélove

Menace of the Asylum
Early Adopter
Nene's Pet Latinx
Latinx/Latine
So I bought a stenographer keyboard recently, intending to pick it up as a hobby. Maybe eventually get to the point of live transcribing streams or something, who knows. The thing is with these keyboards is that since amateur steno is an incredibly niche hobby supplied by a bunch of guys with 3D printers working out of their basement, it's a crap-shoot to actually get what you pay for. I bought this fucking thing 6 months ago, the guy hemmed and hawed and took a long ass time to even get the thing built, much less sent.

It FINALLY gets here? The fucking backplate is on upside down. There are buttons I need to access underneath this backplate, which will allow me to flash default steno firmware to this thing (because god forbid the guy actually flash default fucking firmware to the thing he sells). Normally there are access holes for these buttons: they're in the wrong place, because upside down. I can't even practice with the normal steno software in the meantime because I run Ubuntu and steno software doesn't play nice with Wayland. There are workarounds, but they're all a pain in the ass and introduce bugs that I would have to chase down. I'm not going to switch to X11 either: I use Wayland for a reason, it is MUCH better for my gaming applications and my GPU is happier when I use it.

Now I get to immediately take apart my new keyboard, because I know for a FACT the seller will not honor a straight up return, and a fix will either not happen or take a year. I don't often fuck around with this kind of project, so I don't have any precision tools on hand to work on it. So I'm going to have to buy still more shit to open it up, and pray that nothing else is upside down or fucked up on the inside. And that I can get it put back together properly. And that the guy actually built it intending for it to be possible to work on, because if I get this board partially taken apart and it turns out something in there is riveted to the plate I am going to explode into a pink mist.

But hey, if all that goes well I will FINALLY get to start on a new hobby. Which I'm sure I will actually stick with all the way through. There is no chance this will be a project that sits around and gathers dust while I sit around and watch v-tubers to relax after 10 hour work days.

Surely.

So yeah, be very very wary if you ever decide to try out amateur stenography for whatever reason. It's not as easy to get started with as the online community for it would have you believe.
I pity court stenographers tbh, It has always looked like a backbreaking and thankless job, writing all of the bullshit the lawyers and judges throw around to call each other fags in the most courteous of ways.

Aquatic Novellite

Freshwater Shiorin
Early Adopter
So I bought a stenographer keyboard recently, intending to pick it up as a hobby.
I understand the annoyance and respect the niche interest, but I think it's actually illegal to see a post that starts with this sentence and not rate it autistic.

agility_

We have some serious streams to discuss 🔨
Early Adopter
4chan has conditioned the whole internet to interpret any hobby as autistic.

MerelyTourist

jkterjter jkterjtier
LM's Ladyboy

Surely.

This is what you get for noy buying a 3d printer

God's Strongest Dragoon

4chan has conditioned the whole internet to interpret any hobby as autistic.
It depends on the circumstances and nuance of the situation.
Painting on a canvas? Not autistic
Painting a warhammer figurine? Autistic

Rinfriend

Not a Real Artist
Top Bottom