"I had a freaking panic attack during my driver's license exam, I had to parallel-park and I couldn't, I stopped in the middle of the road; And they still passed me! If that doesn't indicate how useless government is, I don't know what will!"Kirschey

VTuber Research Study - Participant Recruitment

The Proctor

Manager Arc Unlocked?
Staff member

Planetary Bombardment

It's the only way to be sure.
Finally, my stupid hobby and general dissatisfaction with myself will be useful for the advancement of mankind.

wrp

The "was a real person" was also something that I had debated on for a while with my supervisor in regards to potential validity issues. I originally wanted to go for something along the lines of 'personally knew you' or 'was here with me,' however, upon conducting some literature review on studies regarding vTubers, it was found that vTuber audiences intentionally separate the vTuber avatar from the real person voicing them. Because of that, we ended up using "was a real person" as the final phrasing of the question.

Here's the paper in question that delved more into it if you wish to read further: https://doi.org/10.1145/3411764.3445660

Though it's important to note that the interview conducted in that paper was done with a China-based demographic, which may be different to the western approach of the perceptions towards vTubers.
That's very interesting and revealing of chinese culture

As far as I'm concerned, it is nearly impossible to seperate the vtuber from the person behind it, because most vtubers essentially are just the person behind it. I.e., Kson is Coco, Henya is Pikamee, Nazuna is Mikeneko is Rushia, Mori is DemonDice, plus or minus content styles and superficial differences. Most vtubers I know of under different names don't so much as bother with any kind of character acting to differentiate their personas, they just be themselves but under a different name and face. Granted like hff pointed out the surface level vtuber community discourages openly acknowledging these things, but even at that level all of these are still basically open secrets, some of them to an obviously intentional degree on the part of the vtuber.

Scoots

The Pontiff of PonWolf
Early Adopter
That's very interesting and revealing of chinese culture

As far as I'm concerned, it is nearly impossible to seperate the vtuber from the person behind it, because most vtubers essentially are just the person behind it. I.e., Kson is Coco, Henya is Pikamee, Nazuna is Mikeneko is Rushia, Mori is DemonDice, plus or minus content styles and superficial differences. Most vtubers I know of under different names don't so much as bother with any kind of character acting to differentiate their personas, they just be themselves but under a different name and face. Granted like hff pointed out the surface level vtuber community discourages openly acknowledging these things, but even at that level all of these are still basically open secrets, some of them to an obviously intentional degree on the part of the vtuber.
There is IRyS who apparently curses a lot more as Namirin

Todd's Strongest Howard

Do not trust the sticker farmer.
Early Adopter

DaddyChill

What the hell is even that!
Early Adopter
The Shiori profile pictures will heavily skew the results.

Thomas Talus

Εκ λόγου άλλος εκβαίνει λόγος
Early Adopter
I think most streamers, virtual or flesh, sand off some of the rougher edges of their personalities for audience appeal. Maybe not xQc.

Koronesuki

X-Potato
That's not the same as playing a different character with a different personality. She's just more careful about her language the same way that someone might be in different situations, like at work versus socializing with friends for example.

shipmate_F

menhera addicted sister
Answered. Some questions are hella fine to put you in the perspective of hypothetical convivence.
:depressedtako:

MysticMads

Scoots

The Pontiff of PonWolf
Early Adopter
Those were just examples, and I just shilled in my own faves, that's it.
>Kindred

Welp there goes the asylum be nice sticker

I kid I hope

electronic elephant

"I am uncontrollable. I cannot be managed."—Vesper
Early Adopter

Aquatic Novellite

Freshwater Shiorin
Early Adopter

Hff201

Pippa Fan, Failed Normalfriend
Early Adopter

Kazuma

Early Adopter

GOD'S STRONGEST BUILDERBEAR

"Shut up, Dazzle. I will clip your balls" -SB
Early Adopter
Very sad that he watches Vox, may he get a better taste one day....

Zyklon Mag

I felt attacked filling out this survey

Malchior

Filled the survey but I thought some questions were "loaded"

for example the ones in the "how you felt that last month" part... I don't often *actively* think about a lot of them but I need to answer like I had done it, and I don't know if that is mildly upsetting me just cause of my autism acting up or if I needed to had at least a moment in the month I went "hmm. I think I'm positively contributing to society" (or any other listed tbh)

Also... would it be ok to show us the results once they are done?

MysticMads

for example the ones in the "how you felt that last month" part... I don't often *actively* think about a lot of them but I need to answer like I had done it, and I don't know if that is mildly upsetting me just cause of my autism acting up or if I needed to had at least a moment in the month I went "hmm. I think I'm positively contributing to society" (or any other listed tbh)

Oh that's completely fair. I don't think it's wrong to say that you don't really regularly actively think about some of the things mentioned in the survey. You may passively think about it, or maybe there are instances that you just can't recall (like seeing a video about a certain topic and feeling a certain way). Though, I feel that's kinda just the nature/downside of using likert scales as a way to measure things, unfortunately.

As said previously, once my thesis is finished, I'll likely send my paper to Proctor for them to release the results to everyone here. Though again, I am only an undergrad student, so don't have too much expectations on the quality of the overall paper. Thank you for taking your time to fill out the survey!

SandySunDunes

Not to mention how some questions edged closer to political opinions rather than mental well-being, like that one about thinking that current society is good and getting better or whatever. They way you answer that I would say is more about how you agree with the political trends of the day rather than an assessment of your own well-being.

It feels rather indirect as a measure. Like the question was trying to figure out how misanthropic or anti-social you could be considered using a proxy measure.

Top Bottom