"Fucking Elira Pendora fucking bitch! Fucking bitch! tyeshyeyiyunoh fucking bitch-Elira-Lazulight... fuck you bitch!"Enna Alouette

VTuber Research Study - Participant Recruitment

MysticMads

Hello everyone!

I’m currently doing an undergraduate research study focusing on the impact of vTuber parasocial relationships on an individual’s mental well-being. If you meet the requirements listed below, please take the time to fill out this survey!
It’s completely anonymous, shouldn’t take more than 10 minutes to finish, and it’ll help greatly contribute to research on vTuber viewership. Thank you in advance for your help!

Survey link: https://tally.so/r/nrovB5

To join this study, you must:
  1. Be between 18 – 60 years old
  2. Have watched at least 1 – 2 hours of vTuber content in the last 30 days
  3. Have interacted with vTubers/vTuber-content (e.g., commented on streams, liked their posts) at least 3 – 5 times in the last 30 days
It would also immensely help if you spread this survey around to other friends who meet the study’s criteria! Thank you for your time.

StudyGraphics.png

The Proctor

Manager Arc Unlocked?
Staff member
As far as I can tell, this is legitimate, and made by somebody who actually understands at least something about vtuber culture. So I'm issuing an official Asylum 'be nice' sticker here. Also no, I am not being financially compensated for this.

Bozu

Those who sow in tears shall reap in joy.
Early Adopter

ScarletCorrupt

Awawawawa (derogatory)
Interesting study, I'm curious what the results will be like.

Nenélove

Cured and Medicated
Early Adopter
Nene's Pet Latinx
Latinx/Latine

The Rratarded Alt

Rat-girl Idol Connoisseur
Me and my four closest rodent friends will be sure to answer to the best of our abilities.

Seth

Fubuki's Best Friendo
Hello everyone!

I’m currently doing an undergraduate research study focusing on the impact of vTuber parasocial relationships on an individual’s mental well-being. If you meet the requirements listed below, please take the time to fill out this survey!
It’s completely anonymous, shouldn’t take more than 10 minutes to finish, and it’ll help greatly contribute to research on vTuber viewership. Thank you in advance for your help!

Survey link: https://tally.so/r/nrovB5

To join this study, you must:
  1. Be between 18 – 60 years old
  2. Have watched at least 1 – 2 hours of vTuber content in the last 30 days
  3. Have interacted with vTubers/vTuber-content (e.g., commented on streams, liked their posts) at least 3 – 5 times in the last 30 days
It would also immensely help if you spread this survey around to other friends who meet the study’s criteria! Thank you for your time.

View attachment 60651
Hey @MysticMads ! How did you decide about the requirements to be able to enter your survey? Is there a specific reason as to why one needs to have interacted at least 3-5 times with vtuber content? And does it need to be with 1 vtuber? Do you think we can be parasocial to multiple vtubers? Is it a bad thing? I look forward to your answers friend !

Banana Hammock

Born to Sneed
Early Adopter

If X was a real person, I could have disclosed negative things about myself honestly and fully (deeply) to him/her​

What? Like, a person that I know? Someone I met on the bus? I'm not sure what you mean by this.

A lot of the questions seem to be formatted like this. "If X was a real person, Y."

Nigel Nigerman

is the virtual reincarnation of George Floyd.
I feel exposed after that survey.
:painpeko:

Nenélove

Cured and Medicated
Early Adopter
Nene's Pet Latinx
Latinx/Latine

Thomas Talus

Εκ λόγου άλλος εκβαίνει λόγος
Early Adopter
I think a lot of the questions along the lines of the one Banana Hammock mentioned presume a that the audience member is interacting with the vtuber as though they were someone they knew personally, rather than as an entertainer playing a character to some extent.

The Rratarded Alt

God's Wingiest Winger

God's Strongest Smartass
Dizzy's Husband
Yeah I feel like I need to be locked away or shot in the back of the head when I'm not paying attention with how I answered that

Seth

Fubuki's Best Friendo
God i really hope my favorite vtuber " Proctor Zakharov, its a pngtuber though " will see the results :takoesl:

Bozu

Those who sow in tears shall reap in joy.
Early Adopter
Make sure to put the money you get from this to good use, boss.

Banana Hammock

Born to Sneed
Early Adopter
I think a lot of the questions along the lines of the one Banana Hammock mentioned presume a that the audience member is interacting with the vtuber as though they were someone they knew personally, rather than as an entertainer playing a character to some extent.
Wait, am I not parasocial enough to even understand the questions? I mean, I guess that's a good thing?

The Rratarded Alt

4/10 survey. No fill-in answers does not leave room for creative responses. My ratty compartiots and I will not be returning.

Kalion

:)
What do you mean "if X was a real person" of course they're real.

Hff201

Pippa Fan, Failed Normalfriend
Early Adopter
image.png

Yeah, so I could do the opposite.

MysticMads

Hey @MysticMads ! How did you decide about the requirements to be able to enter your survey? Is there a specific reason as to why one needs to have interacted at least 3-5 times with vtuber content? And does it need to be with 1 vtuber? Do you think we can be parasocial to multiple vtubers? Is it a bad thing? I look forward to your answers friend !
Hi! The reason for the specificity of the requirements is basically just to filter out people who are into vTubers and are into the vtuber niche as opposed to people who just watch vTuber clips. Admittedly, the requirements were purposedfully made to be an easy enough gap to clear for people who are in the vTuber niche, as there hadn't been any previous studies that clearly stated their filter requirements (and how long do vTuber audiences usually watch/interact with vTuber content). This was done because the study wishes to observe how parasocial relationships can possibly affect one's well-being when observed in the context of vTubers as opposed to celebrities or other media personalities (due to the differences in peoples' perception of vTubers as a media personality).

It doesn't need to be with one vTuber specifically, just as long as you've interacted with vTubers in some capacity. And yes, you can definitely be parasocial towards multiple vTubers; think of it like having friends, you're not limited to only having one friend. The only caveat is that the relationship is usually a one-sided one (I say usually, as with some indie vTubers, they may actively hang out with their viewers, which brings on a different kind of limitation).

From the literature review I've done, parasocial relationships can be a good thing or a bad thing; it all depends on context, and how you're going about it. I know, that's not a satisfying answer, but I'm also withholding my hypothesis (as I don't wish to potentially affect the data/your answers by outright saying whether it's a good thing or a bad thing). Though, you're welcome to email me (listed on the consent form) if you wish to see the results after my thesis is completed. Hopefully that answers some of your questions!

Top Bottom