Status
Not open for further replies.

nooternun

(๑ 'ᆺ' ) Pfp is me IRL

Johnny Jambalaya

99%
Early Adopter
Ward Security
Since Yes to this question is going to win barring an act of God, I think we should consider what options we have now that a majority want some sort of change. I think the options we have are:
  • Create a Phase Invaders liveposting thread
  • Create a Phase Connect liveposting thread separate from the Pippa thread
  • Create a Phase Connect liveposting thread merged with the Pippa thread
  • Create a general liveposting thread
  • Create a general liveposting thread with both the Kirsche and Pippa threads merged into it

RestlessRain

Early Adopter
Since Yes to this question is going to win barring an act of God, I think we should consider what options we have now that a majority want some sort of change. I think the options we have are:
  • Create a general liveposting thread with both the Kirsche and Pippa threads merged into it
One Pippa liveposting thread and one general liveposting thread (including Kirsche) is what my personal preference would be.

Johnny Jambalaya

99%
Early Adopter
Ward Security
One Pippa liveposting thread and one general liveposting thread (including Kirsche) is what my personal preference would be.
That one probably the most sense in my opinion.

Piarro

Early Adopter
Pippa thread needs to stay sealed, it will overtake any other topic in a shared thread

nooternun

(๑ 'ᆺ' ) Pfp is me IRL
I think the Proctor should be a proper dictator and ignore the vote.

wrp

Strongly agree with this. I'm ambivalent on the Kirsche thread, but if I had to make the call I'd roll it in with the general thread.
Of these I'd say the worst choice is combining any other thread with Pippa's. This just makes for renaming the Pippa thread because no discussion of anyone else will really happen.
Next is the phase invaders only thread, which I'd say is neutral; doesn't really cause problems, doesn't really fix them either, just pawns it off down the road until everyone gets their own little thread or Proctor gets tired of making new threads.
Then there's the Phase Connect thread, and I'm split on it. On the one hand, it naturally follows that other corps/groups also get a thread, and I like the idea in principal of it being sorted that way. On the other hand, it's probably part of why /vt/ is so fucked with shitposters and tribalfags.
I'd put more thought into it if the general thread with no pippa wasn't just the strictly best idea. I can't think of any negative to it, let alone any advantage another has over it, as long as an open mind is kept towards spinning off other chronically overdiscussed talents into their own threads if need be.

Last edited:

The Proctor

Manager Arc Unlocked?
Staff member
Lovebug Proctologist
I feel it's work expounding upon what I view a Liveposting thread as doing.

Liveposts tend to be short, reactionary messages sent quickly and with minimal forethought. They're often closer to chat messages than actually considered forum posts. That, or they're more detailed messages focused exclusively on the talent in question.

What I feel some people don't fully understand is that I greatly value content over quantity when it comes to posts. If the main thread was a third as long as it is but every post had two thirds more content, I'd be happier than I am now - which is not to say that I'm unhappy, just that in my perfect magical fantasy realm of a forum that exists only in my head, that's the ratio that would tickle my dopamine receptors the most.

When I read the General thread, I want to read every post. I want to read everything people are saying, and in some way enjoy what they're saying. I want to see people discussing the talents I like, while also showcasing me talents I've never heard of and giving me enough info to dig into them and maybe gain a new appreciation for them. I view it like a good newspaper, something that both educates and informs in a way that leaves me entertained enough to be predisposed towards examining the topics further on my own when I get the chance.

Liveposts tend to be the opposite of all this. They often rely on advance knowledge of the topic, and are directed primarily at an internal audience of people who are currently watching the same thing as you are. These are not meritless by any means, but they are visual clutter. If I come to a block of pages that are 60-80% liveposts in the General thread, I immediately disengage and go do something else, potentially missing any gems hidden deeper in that I just don't have the patience to dig for. That does not make these posts bad in and of themselves, they are perfectly valid content. They simply are an awkward part of the ecosystem that poorly integrates with everything else around them.

Another factor I value highly is that of hindsight. Often I think 'wait, I saw something in passing yesterday, I'd love to look at it again' in the General thread, and realize it's now 30 pages deep and sandwiched between dozens of other posts with different contexts. Meanwhile in a Liveposting thread, even one as active as Pippa's, you stand a far greater chance of finding what you want. This is the same reason I made the Events forum, which I feel has more than accomplished its original purpose and will be essential to the site going forwards.

I've always been averse to the idea of segmenting this forum into discreet threads for Holo/Niji/Phase/Etc, but we are reaching the point where one general thread isn't really cutting it anymore. I am exploring options on how to deal with this, and I'm open to suggestions, but for now Liveposting threads have proven an effective way of handling the problem in the short to medium term.

Nenélove

Menace of the Asylum
Early Adopter
Nene's Pet Latinx
Latinx/Latine

Liveposts tend to be short, reactionary messages sent quickly and with minimal forethought. They're often closer to chat messages than actually considered forum posts. That, or they're more detailed messages focused exclusively on the talent in question.

What I feel some people don't fully understand is that I greatly value content over quantity when it comes to posts. If the main thread was a third as long as it is but every post had two thirds more content, I'd be happier than I am now - which is not to say that I'm unhappy, just that in my perfect magical fantasy realm of a forum that exists only in my head, that's the ratio that would tickle my dopamine receptors the most.

When I read the General thread, I want to read every post. I want to read everything people are saying, and in some way enjoy what they're saying. I want to see people discussing the talents I like, while also showcasing me talents I've never heard of and giving me enough info to dig into them and maybe gain a new appreciation for them. I view it like a good newspaper, something that both educates and informs in a way that leaves me entertained enough to be predisposed towards examining the topics further on my own when I get the chance.

Liveposts tend to be the opposite of all this. They often rely on advance knowledge of the topic, and are directed primarily at an internal audience of people who are currently watching the same thing as you are. These are not meritless by any means, but they are visual clutter. If I come to a block of pages that are 60-80% liveposts in the General thread, I immediately disengage and go do something else, potentially missing any gems hidden deeper in that I just don't have the patience to dig for. That does not make these posts bad in and of themselves, they are perfectly valid content. They simply are an awkward part of the ecosystem that poorly integrates with everything else around them.

Another factor I value highly is that of hindsight. Often I think 'wait, I saw something in passing yesterday, I'd love to look at it again' in the General thread, and realize it's now 30 pages deep and sandwiched between dozens of other posts with different contexts. Meanwhile in a Liveposting thread, even one as active as Pippa's, you stand a far greater chance of finding what you want. This is the same reason I made the Events forum, which I feel has more than accomplished its original purpose and will be essential to the site going forwards.

I've always been averse to the idea of segmenting this forum into discreet threads for Holo/Niji/Phase/Etc, but we are reaching the point where one general thread isn't really cutting it anymore. I am exploring options on how to deal with this, and I'm open to suggestions, but for now Liveposting threads have proven an effective way of handling the problem in the short to medium term.
And proctor puts it quite succinctly as always, leave it to the bongs to have a way with words.

Thomas Talus

Εκ λόγου άλλος εκβαίνει λόγος
Early Adopter

wrp

I don't think anyone is saying that you should get rid of the liveposting threads, or that making any new threads is a bad idea. Come to think of it, no one's even considering an alternative to the liveposting thread format as a whole, which just goes to show how good of an idea it was to begin with, or how retarded we all are.
Like myself, at least some of the "No" votes are just disagreeing with the question as specified, not the intent of it, and in turn some of the "Yes" votes are agreeing with the general concept and aren't specifically for and only for a Phase Invaders thread.

Hff201

Pippa Fan, Failed Normalfriend
Early Adopter
I would prefer we avoid splintering the main thread into threads for each corpo at any cost.

Having a single thread to talk about any talent, regardless of others' opinions on them, enforces a sense of community by filtering out potential tribalfags or "antis". With the current setup if you see somebody enthusiastically sharing information or clips about a vtuber you actively dislike, your options are to either get over it, or leave. It shapes a culture that's less prone to infighting, as fans of [vtuber I dislike] have the same opportunity to present themselves positively and earn the community's respect as fans of [vtuber I like], resulting in a single, more open-minded community.

Splintering the thread divides the forum into multiple smaller communities, who over time will develop different cultures and ideals. There's nothing to stop, for example, a handful of Holo tribalfags making themselves incredibly comfortable in the Hololive thread, and us not realising they have a rabid hateboner for Nijisanji and a tendency to instigate fights with random Niji fans until an Events thread pops up that involves both Holo and Niji talents. It's much harder to moderate situations like that when it involves tenured and otherwise respected users than it is when it's a new guy who hasn't read the room before posting.

Brosnan Pierce Brosnan

God's Strongest Smartass
Dizzy's Husband
Splintering the thread could also prove disastrous should any vtuber jump ship to another corpo or indie. Especially if tribalfags join the fray

Seth

Fubuki's Best Friendo
handful of Holo tribalfags making themselves incredibly comfortable in the Hololive thread, and us not realising they have a rabid hateboner for Nijisanji and a tendency to instigate fights with random Niji fans
I really wonder who would do that. In the forum? Nahhhhh could never happen surely not a husbando or anything like that

Sankisei

HOLOLIVE SAIKYO
I really wonder who would do that. In the forum? Nahhhhh could never happen surely not a husbando or anything like that
At least he doesnt writes fucking Bibles every time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom