"Remember when I first debuted and I was like 'Ehe, lads! Heh, stop, don't tease me!' and you're like 'Gehe, Loddy, gwehe' and now you're like 'Oh, you're a FUCKING HAG'"Lottie Shinju

The Anime Thread

Speech To Text

Top 3 anime this season for me are The Eminence in Shadow, Akiba Maid War, and Chainsaw Man.

Nenélove

Cured and Medicated
Early Adopter
Nene's Pet Latinx
Latinx/Latine
Top 3 anime this season for me are The Eminence in Shadow, Akiba Maid War, and Chainsaw Man.
Eminence in shadow is everything that is wrong with isekai and i fucking hate it, the LN is such a fucking joke that i couldn't even take a chapter before i had to delete the file.

Thomas Talus

Εκ λόγου άλλος εκβαίνει λόγος
Early Adopter
Eminence in shadow is everything that is wrong with isekai
Isn't that The Joke? The MC is chuuni to the max on purpose, and the world somehow accommodates his intentionally ridiculous flourishes.

Nenélove

Cured and Medicated
Early Adopter
Nene's Pet Latinx
Latinx/Latine
Isn't that The Joke? The MC is chuuni to the max on purpose, and the world somehow accommodates his intentionally ridiculous flourishes.
Idk im just tired of every single isekai being a joke, if there is one or two that are then that's fine, but when every single one is trying to be comedic or parodying the genre because it's so trope-y then they become the new trope. I want an isekai that can take itself seriously and aspire to be more than just "Haha awkward situations! Oh look epic battle! badass! but then the badass gets in some retarded comedic scenario! oh no!"

Realticule

Prime Pippa Appreciator.
Early Adopter
I CAN STILL FIX HER
✡︎ God's Chosen Schizo ✡︎
Idk im just tired of every single isekai being a joke, if there is one or two that are then that's fine, but when every single one is trying to be comedic or parodying the genre because it's so trope-y then they become the new trope. I want an isekai that can take itself seriously and aspire to be more than just "Haha awkward situations! Oh look epic battle! badass! but then the badass gets in some retarded comedic scenario! oh no!"
Too many of them are comedies to the point that it's stale, but if you want that actually does take a serious tone check out Re:Zero, they have some comedy in it but the overall tone is very much a serious take on the genre.

Tyrvalla

Early Adopter
I think all of Isekai wants to emulate each other whichever is successful, if you read manhwa (korean manga) almost all of their titles are the same example: Reincarnation of _________ or Return of _________.

Also let me shill my favorite manhwa:
  • Omniscient Reader Viewpoint
  • Regressor Instruction Manual
  • Reformation of the Deadbeat Noble

The Proctor

Manager Arc Unlocked?
Staff member
There will never be another Isekai as good as Log Horizon.

Speech To Text

Yeah, a lot of popular ones are the comedies or slice of life. The few more serious ones that do get popular are stuff like Re:Zero, Jobless Reincarnation, and Faraway Paladin. Theres also the regressors if you like Manwha like Solo Leveling, SSS Class Suicide Hunter, and Kill the Hero.

Faceless Waifu

Early Adopter
Because I have nothing to do, I gonna shill the mecha show that I had watched a while back.

OBSOLETE
12 Episode original series, separated through 2 6-episode season
Genre: Real Robot
Has both sub and dub

Review:
OBSOLETE is basically an original take of mecha show with current (pre-corona) politic that feels less like a typical gundam show and more akin to slower, smaller mecha stuff like Front Mission, putting an emphasis on a gradual grow of the titular mechas as they are slowly used by nations for both peaceful and not-so peaceful reasons. The series itself is set in an a incoherent timeline spanning from as early as 2014 to 2030+, telling the tale of the world where an Alien race calling themselves "Peddlers" contacted humanity in which they will give out something in exchange of 1 ton of limestones. What they give out, these "EXO-FRAMES" or small bipedal mecha that is easy to control/piloted and cheaper than aircraft or vehicles on most case, is slowly but surely left their impact on the world.

OBSOLETE are quite interesting because not many mecha series delves into the progression on the mech and their impact on the world. While many goes on the carnage, combat and warfare with mecha along with each upgrades or new variants, OBSOLETE focuses on a gradual view on the machine in a bit of realistic and interesting way.

You don't see rapid build-up or instant war due to this bipedal mechs existing from get go, instead you see at how these alien mechas were first used for beneficial purpose before some terrorists decided "hey, strapping some mines and using it as fast moving ambushing unit gonna works, right?" before they decimated an entire US Army armor column who wasn't expecting such usage. Then it gradually introduced you as a PMC start trying to make their own weapons and protective shell around the exoframes "cockpit" and use it to bolster their combat power in their security jobs, along with other things like how other countries such as Indian-Pakistan border dispute using exoframes, African nations start getting their hands on it to aid on their rise of power, child soldiers trained to use barely armored exoframes, first world country like America researching exoframes and thinking on adding it to their roster. Hell, there's even a episode involving the fucking cartel using exoframes both to be mules for drugs or to engage cartel warfare with rival cartel or law enforcements.

It's an interesting take, especially if you noticed that everything that mankind did for the exoframes is pretty much "after-market" or modified from existing piece. Where you have your mech first build by strapping some light armor around the cockpit and then adding some webcam-grade camera as your way to see via taped-up iPads (or actual makeshift portholes if you're unlucky), and the weapons are either cut-down heavy machine-guns turned into mecha-sized assault rifle, heavy anti material rifles modified to be actual sniper rifle and even mounting or using heavy explosive weapons that was meant to be crew-served and used by the exoframes alone. In fact, it's only the USA-made one that basically built their own weapons and gear specifically for their own Exosframes, and that's after spending their time on research alone! It's what makes it interesting, at least to me.

The downside is that the way of the episodes is telling their story is a bit hard to get used to because of each episodes basically set on different times (ie, first episode is set in 2023, but second episode kicks you back to 2014), which means that you might have to do a second re-watch if you happens to get the timeline or want to watch the story evolved linearly. Not to mention that Episode 12 of the series is, for the lack of better word without spoiling it, "so far ahead". Oh, and it's more of a 3D CGI series than typical 2D anime stuff but it's nothing really major and wouldn't really ruin your day unless you're super into it. (or a purist that fully into 2D superior stuff)

Besides, the entire series is FREE to watch on Youtube, so nothing to complain about. It's a real robot series that focuses more toward development aspect with plenty of combat scenes and interesting concept of the mecha itself, being alien bipedal mech that us humans just turn it into walking Toyota Hilux technical and later high-tech modern combat IFV/APC before ruining the established modern warfare rules.

I give it 8.5/10. It's easy to enjoy because it's an original take, and the concept could be interesting if you want to dip your toe into the real robot genre. Might be weird because 3D CGI but it's neat. Just go and give it a try, if anyone want. I'll link the playlist here, being a free anime show and all. (NOTE: Considering where y'all live, it might get blocked, but I can assure you that it's 100% free to watch, all 12 episode on youtube.)

Tyrvalla

Early Adopter

Godzilla1984

Early Adopter
For those with Cyberpunk 2077 withdrawal:
Bubblegum Crisis, sequel, spinoff, and reboot.
Cyber City Oedo 808
Ghost in the Shell. Way too much media to bother linking more.
Serial Experiments Lain

Less favorites and more that I've lost count re-watching:
Black Lagoon
Blue Seed. Evangelion knockoff that's better than Evangelion. I will die on this hill.
Fist of the North Star
Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri
Gunsmith Cats. Trying to get Pippa to watch it.
74a.jpg
Haibane Renmei
Hataraku Maou-sama!
Hellsing
Highschool Of The Dead
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
Kiseijuu: Sei no Kakuritsu. Favorite manga. Not fond of the anime. Watch out of obligation.
Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica
Patlabor: The Mobile Police. Best mecha franchise. Suck it Gundam. I still love Gundam, relax. 00 for life.
Robot Carnival
The Big O
The Wonderful Wizard Of Oz. No, I'm not kidding. Yes, it is an anime. Yes, it is good.
Witch Hunter Robin
Youjo Senki

Mandatory Godzilla:
The anime movie trilogy sucks. End of discussion.
Godzilla Singular Point. Good. Showa era Godzilla (save for the original) done right.

Last edited:

Fucking YTs

I just want to annoy people in peace.
Early Adopter

BioBreak

You gonna eat that?
Early Adopter
There will never be another Isekai as good as Log Horizon.
Give "Jobless Reincarnation" (Mushoku Tensei) a spin (if you haven't yet) and see if it works for you.

Nenélove

Cured and Medicated
Early Adopter
Nene's Pet Latinx
Latinx/Latine
Give "Jobless Reincarnation" (Mushoku Tensei) a spin (if you haven't yet) and see if it works for you.
Seconded, probably the best isekai in the last 10 or so years, it actually takes itself kind of seriously and has an overarching story with *gasp* likeable characters! It does have some lighthearted and slice-of-lifeish moments (probably because it would be too serious and almost depressing otherwise) and it's not completely free of tropes but i found it much more tolerable than 95% of isekai. ALSO-ALSO CHARACTERS ACTUALLY DIE! WOW!

Realticule

Prime Pippa Appreciator.
Early Adopter
I CAN STILL FIX HER
it's not completely free of tropes
Wasn't it one of the first Isekai's out there when it came out in printed form, so all of the tropes are just others copying it? I think I heard that somewhere.

Thomas Talus

Εκ λόγου άλλος εκβαίνει λόγος
Early Adopter
Wasn't it one of the first Isekai's out there when it came out in printed form, so all of the tropes are just others copying it? I think I heard that somewhere.
It was early in the development of the genre on sites like narou, so it pre-dates the standardization/ossification of the tropes we know today. It's just sword-and-sorcery rather than game mechanics, the MC is talented at magic but not "cheats" level, he still regularly reflects on his previous life rather than just moving on and enjoying his new one, etc.

Realticule

Prime Pippa Appreciator.
Early Adopter
I CAN STILL FIX HER
Figured I'd make a small effort post about a series I watched not long ago that I haven't seen much talk about.

Class Room of the Elite
At this time there are two seasons one of 12 episode and the other of 13 episodes, but the series is ongoing.

Genre: Drama?

Dub: Yes there is.

Why I like it: I'm not normally into school dramas, but what I liked about this show is that it starts off innocent enough, and gives you a sense of something expected, only to subvert your views of it. Some of the subversions are your basic "there's obviously a catch" while others are much more involved and give you a bit of sense that things are far more fucked than they seem on the surface. The show follows several classes in an elite institution for the rich and powerful, with everything in the school being a test, even if it's not openly stated to be one. That's not out of the norm for such series, but what I think sets this show apart is that characters do actually have more of a dynamic role instead of being one note, and you never know what's going on in someone's head until it comes out.

Season 1 takes a much lighter tone and actually does some interesting things with some of the characters you'd expect to be shallow, while season 2 takes a very different approach and has a much darker tone with things escalating on all fronts. I'm not really sure what to think of season 2 yet, it's either trashy, or interesting depending on how season 3 is, as the dark tone is very jarring in comparison to season 1, but the ending of the season does once again provide some more depth to what would otherwise be one dimensional characters.

That's probably why I like the show, it's not so much the setting, but rather it does enough interesting stuff and plays with ideas in ways not particularly common in media, so it has some fun novelty even if it ends up being a bit of a flop in the long run.

Realticule

Prime Pippa Appreciator.
Early Adopter
I CAN STILL FIX HER
Pardon the double post, but something I was thinking about today, but do you guys prefer a multi-season show or a single season one and done show? I've found a lot of times when I finish a single season show I want more, but at the same time I find a lot of shows start to falter going into season 2 and after, even ones that had a very solid first season.

So maybe it's just better to have tighter single season runs, but I was curious if others don't mind a more variable experience as long as they get more of a setting they like.

Friezer

Pardon the double post, but something I was thinking about today, but do you guys prefer a multi-season show or a single season one and done show? I've found a lot of times when I finish a single season show I want more, but at the same time I find a lot of shows start to falter going into season 2 and after, even ones that had a very solid first season.

So maybe it's just better to have tighter single season runs, but I was curious if others don't mind a more variable experience as long as they get more of a setting they like.
Definitely the former for me, Usually even if it turn into a trainwreck just getting more out of the thing I enjoyed is enough for me to enjoy and appreciate more of it even if its shit.

(IiI_MmM_VvV_IiI_RrR_SsS)

'That is a small price for so great a treachery."

It really depends on the show. Some shorter, one seasons still feel like they haven't really completed their own story, or the pacing just rushes you to the end and it feels like they left a lot on the table. On the other hand, some shows seem to fall off entirely when they continue the story for too long. That latter case looks to be a bigger problem for western media though, as some longer shows actually manage to pick themselves up out of the gutter for a good reprise.

And then there is the entire source-material thing. A lot of shows are adaptions, so that also creates certain constraints.
Personally, I prefer to have a longer running series, but I'm easily entertained even if I recognize things have gone off the rails.
In terms of shows that I think did what I mentioned above right, Steins Gate and Monogatari. Yes, SG has had additions to it, but the story itself was self-contained, and the movie was more of a dessert than a true continuation, adding more closure. And Monogatari has a benefit from it's disjointed timeline (though if you watch it in a semi-chronological order, it's still good).

Top Bottom