"Remember when I first debuted and I was like 'Ehe, lads! Heh, stop, don't tease me!' and you're like 'Gehe, Loddy, gwehe' and now you're like 'Oh, you're a FUCKING HAG'"Lottie Shinju

The Anime Thread

The Proctor

Manager Arc Unlocked?
Staff member
I'm just going to shill one of my absolute all-time favorite anime here as well; Valvrave the Liberator. Let me preface this by saying I'm a huge mecha fan in general, and I've watched dozens of mecha shows at this point. However, Valvrave still easily ranks in my top five.

Problem is, I really can't talk about it much without spoiling what makes it such an unparalleled joy to watch. But let me try and put it another way; have you watched The Fifth Element? That one incredibly weird Bruce Willis/Milla Jovovich film that seems like it should be a parody, but somehow isn't? Valvrave is the anime version of that. It plays itself completely straight, without a single nod or wink to the camera, while being utterly deranged. It will present you with absolute nonsense that clearly cannot be taken seriously, and everyone will then proceed to take it seriously without a hint of irony. The story starts out batshit stupid and then devolves from there. But it's still amazing, and it has remarkably great action scenes on top of that. Watch it if you want a top-tier shitposting anime.

MornLurker

Asylum's lurker
Early Adopter
I'm just going to shill one of my absolute all-time favorite anime here as well; Valvrave the Liberator. Let me preface this by saying I'm a huge mecha fan in general, and I've watched dozens of mecha shows at this point. However, Valvrave still easily ranks in my top five.

Problem is, I really can't talk about it much without spoiling what makes it such an unparalleled joy to watch. But let me try and put it another way; have you watched The Fifth Element? That one incredibly weird Bruce Willis/Milla Jovovich film that seems like it should be a parody, but somehow isn't? Valvrave is the anime version of that. It plays itself completely straight, without a single nod or wink to the camera, while being utterly deranged. It will present you with absolute nonsense that clearly cannot be taken seriously, and everyone will then proceed to take it seriously without a hint of irony. The story starts out batshit stupid and then devolves from there. But it's still amazing, and it has remarkably great action scenes on top of that. Watch it if you want a top-tier shitposting anime.
I recalled watching it weekly as it airs along with a couple of friends so I can be convinced I'm not having a massive hallucination while I'm watching the entirety of this show, 10/10 hall of fame I can't even get mad at it, just pure unhinged entertainment that I'll continue to remember for so many years

I'm not an active anime watchers anymore sadly because life started catching up on me, like the only thing I've been consistently watching from day 1 is probably only One Piece and nothing else.
Though I started looking at the recent lists and gave some a go like Akiba Maid War, if you're familiar with zombieland saga, the insanity basically plays out like that but this time you get to see maid cosplayers wielding guns and getting bloody instead (small trivia about the title is that they used 冥途/meido as a pun since the kanji basically mean underworld. Fun wordplay)

Faceless Waifu

Early Adopter
Maybe I'm wrong about this one, but weren't the guys in the building who Maine and Overwatch Russian Woman were killing all MaxTac or were they just regular police? My issue wasn't the explosion, and I thought MaxTac was good in the opening scene but I thought they just got crushed by Maine in 10 on 2 combat, unless that wasn't them. I also didn't know they were reformed Cyberpsychos as they look very basic in nature. If they really are reformed cyberpsychos that could be a rather cool series to see how someone goes from that to a MaxTac guy, since the current series made cyberpsychos out to be so far gone that they didn't even have humanity left by the time they went postal.

What made me expect more from Trauma Team was when LiveLeaks guy was dying and they freaked out about Trauma Team coming, it made it seem like they were a much more armed PMC than they ended up being as when Faraday was dying they just sent over one tiny shuttle that blew up and nothing they had could really deal with anything as well as them not really having any way of bringing in backup.
It's regular cops first, then the Trauma Team who then worked together (if only because Maine got the patient that Trauma Team wanted). It wasn't until overwatch woman ded and Maine goes full loco that Trauma Team runs away because the patient is truly dead and they have no reason to stick around just before Maine chucks a explosive barrel to their shuttle and removed them. As the cops getting killed to the last man, that's when MaxTac is called and arrived when David and Maine had a one last chit-chat. You can differentiate between MaxTac and the local cops by the fact that MaxTac favours armored helmet with googles while local cops literally only have uniform + body vest and occasional police cap.

As for Trauma Team, they are quite dangerous but it's mostly because if you compare them to typical thugs and mercs, they are more organized, trained, and prepared. But at the same time, they are also trained less for combat and more of them being oddly-armed EMT/Paramedics with equipment on par of PMCs. Their first priority is always saving the patient that hired them, and they would rather get the client safely to the hospital rather than stand their ground and fight. They only fought because:
1. When they want to get the client that is Mr. Tanaka, he was tied with Maine and they have no choice but to engage him to secure the client. When client is dead thanks to Maine, they tried to leave because they really have no actual reason to be there anymore, but before they can leave Maine caught up to them and destroy them with a explosive canister thrown to their shuttle.
2. When they get Faraday, everyone is just focusing on their own (Adam on David, David on Lucy) and Faraday is able to skeedaddle himself before David/Lucy realized it. Trauma Team in the lore is known for their rapid response time (as fast as 3 minute response time for client with Platinum package/contract, aka what Tanaka has and Faraday probably has on hand) so this is something that is true in the anime. They only care on saving Faraday and didn't expect that there's a crazed latino man who is rapidly losing his sanity who then saw them and remember his mama's death. And since said latino man has sandevistan on his machine body, they barely have a second to realize something's wrong before they just got deleted by him. Then Adam Smasher's missile hits the shuttle too, which just ruins it further.

All in all, Trauma Team really have some advantages against the crew to some degree (if not able to subdue Maine, they could probably kill those like say, anyone but Rebecca and Dorio and probably David if he's abusing his sandevistan), but at the same time, the crew can ignore them if they don't cause the Trauma Team to come to their butts. It's only because Mr. Tanaka went into near-death state no thanks to Lucy and David nearly botching the gig that Trauma Team got alerted, which causes the dominoes to fall.

Also any gundamfags here? I'm a UC fanboy but am curious about this new Witch of the Mercury Gundam thingie (mostly because everyone and their mother has been drawing the protag woman with the white haired woman in yuri situation). How good is the show?

Trap Supremacy

Your Local Trap (investi)Gator
Early Adopter

I watched half of it during the 25 days of /a/utism event that happens every year around Christmas time - I enjoyed the first half but by the point it got to the rape and the first season was over I just kinda didn't care about it anymore. My personal flavor of Mecha Trainwreck™ is Code Gayass Geass.

The Rrat

Ratgirl-idol Connoisseur
Early Adopter
Also any gundamfags here? I'm a UC fanboy but am curious about this new Witch of the Mercury Gundam thingie (mostly because everyone and their mother has been drawing the protag woman with the white haired woman in yuri situation). How good is the show?
I am. I watched two episodes so far, seems interesting enough. Like you, though, I am a UC-fag. It basically a girls-love story, so far, though, which I am not too big on.

Realticule

Prime Pippa Appreciator.
Early Adopter
I CAN STILL FIX HER
✡︎ God's Chosen Schizo ✡︎
It's regular cops first, then the Trauma Team who then worked together (if only because Maine got the patient that Trauma Team wanted). It wasn't until overwatch woman ded and Maine goes full loco that Trauma Team runs away because the patient is truly dead and they have no reason to stick around just before Maine chucks a explosive barrel to their shuttle and removed them. As the cops getting killed to the last man, that's when MaxTac is called and arrived when David and Maine had a one last chit-chat. You can differentiate between MaxTac and the local cops by the fact that MaxTac favours armored helmet with googles while local cops literally only have uniform + body vest and occasional police cap.

As for Trauma Team, they are quite dangerous but it's mostly because if you compare them to typical thugs and mercs, they are more organized, trained, and prepared. But at the same time, they are also trained less for combat and more of them being oddly-armed EMT/Paramedics with equipment on par of PMCs. Their first priority is always saving the patient that hired them, and they would rather get the client safely to the hospital rather than stand their ground and fight. They only fought because:
1. When they want to get the client that is Mr. Tanaka, he was tied with Maine and they have no choice but to engage him to secure the client. When client is dead thanks to Maine, they tried to leave because they really have no actual reason to be there anymore, but before they can leave Maine caught up to them and destroy them with a explosive canister thrown to their shuttle.
2. When they get Faraday, everyone is just focusing on their own (Adam on David, David on Lucy) and Faraday is able to skeedaddle himself before David/Lucy realized it. Trauma Team in the lore is known for their rapid response time (as fast as 3 minute response time for client with Platinum package/contract, aka what Tanaka has and Faraday probably has on hand) so this is something that is true in the anime. They only care on saving Faraday and didn't expect that there's a crazed latino man who is rapidly losing his sanity who then saw them and remember his mama's death. And since said latino man has sandevistan on his machine body, they barely have a second to realize something's wrong before they just got deleted by him. Then Adam Smasher's missile hits the shuttle too, which just ruins it further.

All in all, Trauma Team really have some advantages against the crew to some degree (if not able to subdue Maine, they could probably kill those like say, anyone but Rebecca and Dorio and probably David if he's abusing his sandevistan), but at the same time, the crew can ignore them if they don't cause the Trauma Team to come to their butts. It's only because Mr. Tanaka went into near-death state no thanks to Lucy and David nearly botching the gig that Trauma Team got alerted, which causes the dominoes to fall.

I went back and rewatched the scene and it makes more sense now that it's just police and what I thought was MaxTac was actually Trauma Team helmets.

I haven't really watched any new anime in the past couple years. I have heard that the Spy x Family anime is really good. I kinda want to watch that but I want to read the manga first before watching the anime because I'm mainly a manga guy so I prefer reading the manga first before watching the anime adaptation.
Don't be afraid to shill the oldies as well. I hadn't watched any of the Ghibli movies until earlier this year and actually enjoyed them as a fun bit of escapism and world building that didn't have the usual blunt good guy vs. bad guy trope, so there's probably a ton of other stuff that most people have seen but others such as myself just happened to overlook.

Tyrvalla

Early Adopter
Didn't know there's a anime thread here so let me shill my favorite anime, Death Parade.

Don't know why I love it so much.

Also if you want to watch other anime on netflix there's The Great Pretender, pretty fun series.

Realticule

Prime Pippa Appreciator.
Early Adopter
I CAN STILL FIX HER
✡︎ God's Chosen Schizo ✡︎
Updated the first post with effort post catalogue.

I think it went downhill after episode 6. Still enjoyable but as some one who never played the game it has problems as a stand alone.
So what was David's motivation? Everyone keeps telling him to back off the enhancments, and slow down, but he doesn't. Even when he knows hes going insane. Does he really want to send Lucy to the moon and needs the cash? No, they remark in show how cheap a ticket is. Is he greedy and wants money or more power? He never shows a desire for either. He doesn't need to keep enhancing to keep the crew together, or stop some immediate threat to them. (short of final episode) He's seen what happened to his mentor, and yet falls down the same end for no reason that was explained.

Also, that last fight was bullshit. Good job on subverting expectations I suppose, but having some guy who was mentioned once, who we also don't know his motivations, crush him effortlessly, was anti-climactic.
Missed this the first time but I vaguely agree
I'm not completely sure what his motivation was but what I got out of it was he didn't know anything else in life and the tickets weren't as cheap as they made them out. If I remember correctly, he mentions that they're cheap at 250k but Lucy responds that it's a one way trip, and later in the show Faraday is excited about a million credit payout. I think they were cheap relative to what they were, but not so much so that he could pick them up still to go there and back at the time. Still, the idea of going full breakdown cyber psycho isn't exactly logical for a vacation.

I kind of like the ending as we got a subversion and some display that the mega-corps have some serious weaponry, but it could have been done better and some things like Rebecca's death were just weird. I did like the characterization they gave to Kiwi and Handlebar Moustache, but I also don't get why Kiwi was so trusting of Faraday when her whole thing was to not trust anyone.

Didn't know there's a anime thread here so let me shill my favorite anime
I think a lot of people don't know it exists as this isn't a widely used section of the forum.

GOD'S STRONGEST BUILDERBEAR

"Shut up, Dazzle. I will clip your balls" -SB
Early Adopter
i think samurai champloo is pretty good

i dunno i dont watch weeb shit

Thomas Talus

Εκ λόγου άλλος εκβαίνει λόγος
Early Adopter

GOD'S STRONGEST BUILDERBEAR

"Shut up, Dazzle. I will clip your balls" -SB
Early Adopter

Nenélove

Cured and Medicated
Early Adopter
Nene's Pet Latinx
Latinx/Latine

The Proctor

Manager Arc Unlocked?
Staff member
i think samurai champloo is pretty good

i dunno i dont watch weeb shit

Saying you like vtubers but don't watch anime is like saying it's not gay because the balls don't touch.

Fucking YTs

I just want to annoy people in peace.
Early Adopter
While I don't watch as much anime as I used to I'm still a voracious reader of manga. I read Chainsaw man in one bored day.

Stuff I like:
  • 70s/80s horror stuff like God's Left Hand, Devil's Right Hand
  • The manga adaptation of Spice and Wolf
  • Fun trash like Trapped in a Dating Sim: The World of Otome Games is Tough for Mobs
My tastes are all over the place. I use MALSync to keep up to date. I'd link my MAL, but it's just an unsorted mess.

Tyrvalla

Early Adopter
While I don't watch as much anime as I used to I'm still a voracious reader of manga. I read Chainsaw man in one bored day.

Stuff I like:
  • Fun trash like Trapped in a Dating Sim: The World of Otome Games is Tough for Mobs
My tastes are all over the place. I use MALSync to keep up to date. I'd link my MAL, but it's just an unsorted mess.
I don't know if you are keen on reading ongoing manga, but Witch Hat Atelier is one of the best manga that I have read recently.

The art is a fusion between japanese manga and american comics. And the world building, I must say is pretty great.

And another one that I currently read is Insomniacs After School, don't know why but I have a feeling it'll end like A Silent Voice or Your Lie in April

Last edited:

Fucking YTs

I just want to annoy people in peace.
Early Adopter
I don't know if you are keen on reading ongoing manga, but Witch Hat Atelier is one of the best manga that I have read recently.

The art is a fusion between japanese manga and american comics, if you see the works of the author, once in a while she draws for Marvel and DC.
And the world building, I must say is pretty great.

And another one that I currently read is Insomniacs After School, don't know why but I have a feeling it'll end like A Silent Voice or Your Lie in April
Absolutely. I'm already reading Witch Hat Atelier, but I've added Insomniacs After School. Thanks!

Thomas Talus

Εκ λόγου άλλος εκβαίνει λόγος
Early Adopter
Stuff I like:
Maybe a bit of an offbeat recommendation, but try The Whimsical Cursed Sword.

uquusquad

creator, innovator, artist, idea
Early Adopter
Saying you like vtubers but don't watch anime is like saying it's not gay because the balls don't touch.
That is a retarded take. Most people watch anime as they grow up, while they go to school, and sometimes even when they are still freshmen, but most people I know stop watching anime when they get a real job.

Last edited:

The Proctor

Manager Arc Unlocked?
Staff member

Nenélove

Cured and Medicated
Early Adopter
Nene's Pet Latinx
Latinx/Latine
That is a retarded take. Most people watch anime as they grow up, while they go to school, and sometimes even when they are still freshmen, but most people I know stopped watching anime when they get a real job.
Stop trying to make yourself look like less of a weeb, vtubers are as bad as anime if not fucking worse, your normie relatives and acquaintances will laugh at you regardless for being weird so wtf does it matter?

:pippaseethe; more

Top Bottom