"That's lookin' like a preborn baby"IRyS

General Vtuber Discussion (V1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aka Split

IRyS's husband
Early Adopter
I have a question semi-related to vtubers. Do you guys actually 'watch' vtuber streams, as in staring at the screen the whole time?

Personally, I can't be asked to sit down and just watch the stream without doing anything else. I like to play games while listening, but I'm having a lot of trouble finding a game that's really good for spending countless hours on while listening to something else.

If you guys play games while watching streams, what do you play? Help your bro out.
Depends on the game they are playing. If I have very little interest in the game and it's not something where something funny or unexpected can happen, then why bother watching, just listen. For instance something like Overwatch, there isn't all that much that can happen. What's going to be funny about seeing the gameplay? You miss some shots or jump off a cliff? Eh, didn't lose much by not watching. Or more recently, Idol Showdown, you get combo'd or do some combos. Oh no, I missed someone getting killed by Marine's horny attack? Being told about it is just as funny as seeing it, it's not like it's some crazy physics bug that you need to see to truly understand.

That said, i have trouble picking games to play in the background too. Story heavy is bad, especially if it has voice acting. I just bought Xenoblade Chronicles along with Zelda, but when will I ever actually get a chance to play that? No clue.
So basically I end up playing roguelites, and even more specifically turn-based ones. I've been playing Backpack Hero recently, played Monster Train for a bit, Peglin.
If you're into them, match-based games would not be bad either. The same type of stuff I don't actively watch them play would be good to play yourself if you actually like the game; Overwatch, Valorant, Idol Showdown, etc. don't take any real thought and you can just play based on instinct while paying attention to stream audio, and it's not like you're gonna miss out on any story.
Zelda honestly might not be bad if you avoid doing story/quest related things and just explore and look for koroks or whatever. Same with any MMO; you can grind, but just avoid story/quests.

All that said, yes I do also sit and actively watch the screen for entire streams if I am interested in the game or there is some chance of the player being able to react to things in game or express themselves through the gameplay. It's also far more likely for me to actively watch when it's live, because of the chance for interaction and the inability to rewind if you miss something. I got messages read in IRyS's latest Mega Man stream, she's so good at reading, I love her.

Lurker Throwaway

❄🐮⛓🔅📕💢🔩🎩🦅️🧸🫧🏹🦖🦊🦈🎨🍹️♾️🐧🎇🐍🪶🎴⚗️🐸
I have a question semi-related to vtubers. Do you guys actually 'watch' vtuber streams, as in staring at the screen the whole time?
If the game has an interesting story I tend keep focus on it. Mainly horror/narrative adventure/rpg games. Otherwise, it's on the background/second monitor. Current game rotation, MechWarrior 5, Stellaris, and Age of Wonders 4.

Punished Anime Discusser

Early Adopter

Personally, I can't be asked to sit down and just watch the stream without doing anything else. I like to play games while listening, but I'm having a lot of trouble finding a game that's really good for spending countless hours on while listening to something else.

If you guys play games while watching streams, what do you play? Help your bro out.
Only for Kirsche because I like chatting, and Pippa because I enjoy the liveposting. Anything else, the chat's too fast to actually participate, so I don't care.

For games, usually "no thoughts, head empty"-tier shit. Like clearing my gacha game dailies, Destiny 2, Elite Dangerous, whichever MMO I feel like playing that month, or the Todd Howard Special.

PleaseCheckYourReceipts

Realistically, most vtubers aren't great at the gameplay, so you aren't watching it for that. So, it really is second monitor content. I probably have wracked up more hours just putting a smaller streamer on and walking away to do other things than directly watching streams. (Though I very much enjoy highlights and clip channels.)

I do actually pay attention to the on-screen content for professional-tier players in a few games. Trackmania is a very streamable game and there's a lot of Pros around. It makes for solid direct watching experience. For most vtubers, it's more like hanging out with a friends while one plays a console game. There's a reason streaming appeals to certain age demographics so heavily. It's very much a console-like experience at a friend's house, when you're younger.

themanimthehills

I wasn't expecting this many responses. Thanks for the well thought out answers and game lists.

Seth

Fubuki's Best Friendo

Hff201

Pippa Fan, Failed Normalfriend
Early Adopter
Not sure if whatever the fuck this thing is is on anyone's radar.

The funniest part of this to me is they're deconstructing a super old clip of her obviously spouting memes for a laugh, rather than one of the more recent streams where she's earnestly arguing about why she's not interested in sex (even if her actual arguments do boil down to "I'm scared").

Pippa usually gets my full attention, I autistically fixate on the cute bunny ears twitching and only really tab away to read the live thread because I'm too lazy to plug in my second monitor most of the time. Other chuubas are hit and miss depending on whether I have work to catch up on or not.

Topo Chico

Panko buying American snacks stream
Give her money to buy more chocolate :architect:

schedule:

1684260785968.png
edit:
1684263944852.png

Last edited:

Een Gevolg

Undead Nurse #1
Early Adopter
Yet I've never heard anyone say a damn thing about her after she broke the 1 million.
NijiJP doesn't have as many translators as it used to as far as I can tell, a lot of people seemingly went over to clip NijiEN because that's what the algorithm liked. Shit sucks, because there are some NijiJP Vtubers I really like, but who get way less translations than in the past at this point. There were also multiple mentions that Salome's one of those Vtubers for whom you need Japanese to understand just how ridiculously good her character/personality is, sorta like how people tend to say Tsukino Mito tends to be a difficult JP because a lot of her stuff is obscure otaku references.
Looks like there will be another nijiJP graduation.
Can you at least say who it is?

Scoots

The Pontiff of PonWolf
Early Adopter

Depends on the stream content
3D Lives and story based games will go on my PS5 and I'll multitask browsing notifications on my phone
Zatsus, or party game collabs will go on my phone while I do the main thing on the PS5 usually grinding Genshin or temporarily grinding levels on something like Kingdom Hearts or Pokemon

CalciumAnimal

Drink Milk
You will not bait me into becoming a needless anti. I'm not going to start a war over this. I am a peaceful man who can work out my issues in a civilized manner.
were you not the one swearing up and down you would anti Rie hard untill she leaned into her talents a bit more?
Probably this
Does Abbadon just not miss with his projects or what? Gun Omen Lancer.
Its getting stale, yes. Its fun a couple hundred pages ago but now its just, eh...
yeah not even super is reacting to it anymore with more then maybe a sticker.
Kronii said this stream in relation to the ttrpg thing that she played something called pathfinder, i don't know if it's another ttrpg or what but i assume it may get her a luckshitter win.
she is also a major gacha fag she counted 8-9 gacha games she has played/is currently playing (unrelated but it's still info).
Pathfinder is all numbers (well numbers and inflicting so much bullshit on a group of enemies they nolonger get turns) A good DM can roll with all the pc's being demi gods by level 6 .

Examples A fighter who has around 40 AC by level 3 A wizard who inflicts "you don't get actions" by level 5 (i think) Arcanists who don't just do everything every other caster can do but can do it BETTER by level 3ish (depending on which mechanics your stealing) and that's just the tip of the iceberg. think D&D but with enough floating numbers that it makes bankers sweat.
I didn't mean she was gonna do it, like seriously, but she'll pull out or make up just about anything in the heat of the moment during collabs when she's on a roll....
Found the Dragoon. also Ocean Law is a good example of the bullshit Selen will come up with Purple Laughing Dragon is great.

the morei see of korone's buying habits andf game tastes the more and more convinced I am shes using her cash and fame to live out some kind of missed childhood. playing mario doom and now a superscope (among other things) she had to have lived in that time period and felt like she was missing out.

it's rare ill sit for a full thing but i have done it if they are entertaining/engaging enough. Honestly I find it easier with 2 views they tend to be more responsive to chat.
As for games to play nothing too involved as trying to think while listening to someone is torture. Crafting heavy games work somewhat if you focus on the material gathering part or are constructing something simple. .

Brosnan Pierce Brosnan

God's Strongest Smartass
Dizzy's Husband

Horo7618

No one in particular
Pathfinder is all numbers (well numbers and inflicting so much bullshit on a group of enemies they nolonger get turns) A good DM can roll with all the pc's being demi gods by level 6 .
Pathfinder 2E is much more balanced though. If anything it goes too hard in the other direction - it can be hard to feel very powerful at all, especaily for casters who are used to being totally OP.....

lakyus

Unicorns are the most oppressed minority
Early Adopter
Most crab-cat-like spooder soon

Punished Anime Discusser

Early Adopter
By seeking to escape DnD4e, they just escalated the problem of having a Paladin in your party in 4e just greasing entire encounters by marking 90% of the enemies in a room in one turn, and forcing them to kill themselves.

CalciumAnimal

Drink Milk
Pathfinder 2E is much more balanced though. If anything it goes too hard in the other direction - it can be hard to feel very powerful at all, especaily for casters who are used to being totally OP.....
yeah its definitely a lot more toned down and careful in it's wording which is why star finder is the actual pathfinder second edition. Also who ever decided that NO ONLY THREE ACTIONS was a Fun (good) idea needs to be tracked down and shot because clearly they are a double agent from wizards to sabotage pazio.

Hotdogs Aplenty

King Shiori Poster
Early Adopter

Ayla streaming not Zelda if people need a break

Seth

Fubuki's Best Friendo
Oh yeah, chloe dropped a new cover this morning. Pop rock song. I never heard it before but its not really my cup of tea. She got some pretty good vocals on it tho

Trap Supremacy

Your Local Trap (investi)Gator
Early Adopter

I will, occasionally, just turn on a stream, lay back, and just watch it on my phone. Good, engaging playthroughs (for me it was Mumei's BotW) are, for me, able to be watched without me needing to really do anything else. But most of the time I keep a bunch of tabs open to engage in discussion regarding the stream - for Mumei, it'd be /hlgg/ and /who/, for Pippa it'd be here, /pcg/, and discord (the capipi one), and sometimes for larger collabs I'll talk in /hlgg/ and another discord that I have with friends who watch Hololive. I like to try and spread out my discussion wherever possible since it honestly helps my engagement with the stream a lot more.

For some streams, though, it's really not something I can just sit down and watch. When that's the case I'll usually hop on minecraft and do some braindead mining to keep myself occupied, or maybe minesweeper.

Jean Valjean

Brimming with salt

Depends on the stream. If it's a big concert event I actually do try to keep my eyes on the stream the whole time, or if it's Fauna playing Hitman, but most other times I generally have it playing in the background while I do other things and only check in occasionally. Back when Haachama went through her horror arc I was able to sit through streams in their entirety, but I've lost the ability to do so since then.

I will admit that my game of choice for while streams are ongoing is Minesweeper, though, so I'm not really sure I can help you on that front.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom