"The interesting thing about Lenox and one of the reasons I like her a great deal is that she is a genuinely extremely traumatized individual and she has suffered a horrible horrible amount of stuff in her life"The Proctor

General Vtuber Discussion (V1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Proctor

Manager Arc Unlocked?
Staff member
Lovebug Proctologist

Negzana

The amount of passive flexing this woman produces is unsustainable

Zoolander became memeable with retarded zoomers

On one hand Kaela's existence is reassuring because it shows there are women that autistic, on the other hand it's not like I'd ever meet one like that they are too busy at home playing videogames.

Harrow Prime

Among Other Names.
Early Adopter
Kronii's Husband
On one hand Kaela's existence is reassuring because it shows there are women that autistic, on the other hand it's not like I'd ever meet one like that they are too busy at home playing videogames.
Women will always have higher extremes than men. They're just much more rare than their male counterpart.
So yeah, good luck finding a Kaela for yourself.

The Proctor

Manager Arc Unlocked?
Staff member
Lovebug Proctologist
So yeah, good luck finding a Kaela for yourself.

You don't want a woman who will always be carrying you in a video game.

Horo7618

No one in particular
. A typical vtuber gaming stream is textbook fair use. They're adding new context all over the place both in terms of explicit commentary and just in the manner that they're playing the game, and the vast majority of people tuning into the stream will be doing so because they want to see those expressions by the streamer, not because or not merely because they want to see the game being played.
That... isn't really how fair use works under US law at all. A VTuber streaming a game is going to fall down on multiple fronts:
  1. It's commercial activity - they're trying to make money
  2. They're streaming a substantial portion of the game
  3. Video games are creative works, not factual ones
  4. It's possibly impacting the market for the game (people could watch instead of playing)

Titanosaurus

Early Adopter
Second Helping of Shiina! We do not get cucked out of the 5th stream after all :smugpipi:

See, just shitzo shit post for your ego searching Oshi to see what you want!

Harrow Prime

Among Other Names.
Early Adopter
Kronii's Husband
Oh I sure as hell don't want that, I have a reputation to upkeep outside of here. There definitely is a percentage of males out there who definitely do though. The disgraced femboys they are.

Thomas Talus

Εκ λόγου άλλος εκβαίνει λόγος
Early Adopter
That... isn't really how fair use works under US law at all. A VTuber streaming a game is going to fall down on multiple fronts:
  4. It's possibly impacting the market for the game (people could watch instead of playing)
There's also substantial consumer overlap between people who play video games and people who watch vtubers.

Godzilla1984

Early Adopter
Intellectual Property laws are retarded and so is anything surrounding them.
I had an IP section on my ethics exam just to legally be able to look at rocks.
Fuck Mickey Mouse and everyone involved.

Hff201

Pippa Fan, Failed Normalfriend
Early Adopter
I don't know about Canadian or Israeli courts but if it ended up in American courts, the case would be dead on arrival. A typical vtuber gaming stream is textbook fair use. They're adding new context all over the place both in terms of explicit commentary and just in the manner that they're playing the game, and the vast majority of people tuning into the stream will be doing so because they want to see those expressions by the streamer, not because or not merely because they want to see the game being played.
It's important to remember this entire discussion is speculative. Fair dealing, fair use etc. are legal defences, and should an issue go to court much of the case will be umming and ahing over whether the defence holds up in that particular instance. The lists you usually see thrown around about commentary, criticism, educational use, parody etc. aren't a checklist of things you can do to be 'safe'; they're just factors that'll be considered when making a judgement. If you can show that your commentary during the stream is mostly discussion of the game akin to a review or that you're showcasing elements of a game to inform potential consumers, that can work in your favour, but there's no guarantee the court will agree with you. If the plaintiff's argument is that you're using their copyrighted material to receive ill-gotten gains, and a significant portion of the livestream is footage of their game in the background while you say "thank you Sneed McFeed for the twenty dollars", the court might agree with them instead.

Again, to reiterate, all we have to go on is speculation. It is very unlikely a game publisher will drag a streamer into the courtroom, but as is always the case with the internet, you never know when someone will go full retard. When you're creating transformative content you're unfortunately never going to be 100% in the clear.

Punished Anime Discusser

Early Adopter
True. Used to play League of Legends with a friend of mine who was some shit like top 0.40% on the EUNE server. I was fucking trash-tier at LoL, like Plat 2 at best. She'd message me to play with her, ask me to lane with her, not tell me what to do or what she's doing, then get catty and passive-aggressive when I couldn't read her mind and perfectly sync up for a play she was making with no warning whatsoever.

Then she'd ask me to play again the next day. It was like being married with none of the tax benefits.

agility_

We have some serious streams to discuss 🔨
Early Adopter
It boils down to a company's usage of the term "fair" never actually approaching the neighborhood of the meaning. To say nothing of attack dog lawyering.

True. Used to play League of Legends with a friend of mine who was some shit like top 0.40% on the EUNE server. I was fucking trash-tier at LoL, like Plat 2 at best. She'd message me to play with her, ask me to lane with her, not tell me what to do or what she's doing, then get catty and passive-aggressive when I couldn't read her mind and perfectly sync up for a play she was making with no warning whatsoever.

Then she'd ask me to play again the next day. It was like being married with none of the tax benefits.

Was she hot. Actually forget that, did she like you?

Punished Anime Discusser

Early Adopter
Was she hot. Actually forget that, did she like you?
She was kinda cute, in a dumpy NEET way, surprisingly wasn't a lardass like most gaymer girls.
Maybe? I dunno, I'm too much of an autist to notice or care, and I was undoubtedly even more of an autist back then.

Thomas Talus

Εκ λόγου άλλος εκβαίνει λόγος
Early Adopter
It's important to remember this entire discussion is speculative. Fair dealing, fair use etc. are legal defences, and should an issue go to court much of the case will be umming and ahing over whether the defence holds up in that particular instance. The lists you usually see thrown around about commentary, criticism, educational use, parody etc. aren't a checklist of things you can do to be 'safe'; they're just factors that'll be considered when making a judgement.
Multi-factor tests with no dispositive factors are the judiciary's gift to litigation attorneys.

Crush

opsec doko
(He's Nolan Crush)
Some fine Fauna art.
FuY10r2aMAEBFv8
:sanasmile:

Down bad Dad

Aquatic Novellite

Freshwater Shiorin
Early Adopter
It is very unlikely a game publisher will drag a streamer into the courtroom
Primarily in the sense that streamers don't usually fight DMCAs, though.

It is worth remembering that although Nintendo's creators' program was ultimately shelved after a few years, it did enforce Nintendo's guidelines on streamers for three years. Including revenue sharing. Don't cooperate, get DMCA'd (something that Nintendo still does to this day, I might add. Not every streamer, of course, but every now and then someone gets hit). Your location? Irrelevant.

The streamers yielded.

Since streaming using Nintendo copyrighted media is not exactly uncommon, I find it moderately unlikely that no-one has even considered challenging Nintendo over this (via class action or something to get the funds, if need be).

I don't have proof, of course. But I'm deeply suspicious that someone, somewhere did ask a lawyer about the matter, and got told "Don't even bother trying" in response.

Also anecdotal, but the one time I saw an actual lawyer posting on the topic, his answer to the question of how to work with copyrighted materials under fair use amounted to "Don't."

Ensok

Early Adopter
The amount of passive flexing this woman produces is unsustainable

Zoolander became memeable with retarded zoomers

There are about a million better scenes from that movie that can be made into a meme. Which I hope doesn't happen and people just enjoy the movie on its own merits anyways.

Good Ol' Chum

Sanest Chumbud
I can't believe Kobo just made a thumbnail mocking Karen's rotund size!
Screenshot_2023-04-24-06-50-00-76_f9ee0578fe1cc94de7482bd41accb329.jpg

Renmai

Shiori, what the fuck are you talking about?
Early Adopter
Coco coming to that fan HL fighting game.

God's Strongest Mozumite

Mega Mozu Milkers.
Early Adopter
ENTERING FLAVOR COUNTRY
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom