"Oh! It stinks in here, it reeks, there are so many weird things in here, wow no wonder the floor looks clean now, it's thanks to Iroha-chan..."Hakui Koyori (visiting La+)

General Vtuber Discussion (V1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kukkia

Early Adopter
What if Holo and Niji make a joint platform? tribalism dead forever? We will have to join hands someday in order to fight the jewish menace when it comes knocking
I think maybe multiple companies (probably more than just them) coming together to make a service could work. But it still probably wouldn't happen due to just all the wrangling involved when it comes to permissions, revenue sharing, and the like.

The Peanut Gallery

His smile and optimism: Restored. 🕯️👁️
Early Adopter
Someones modded Lolime into Mario Kart 64

Archive

The extened version

GOD'S STRONGEST BUILDERBEAR

"Shut up, Dazzle. I will clip your balls" -SB
Early Adopter
I'm not sure what incentive Hololive would have to let others into walled garden platforms, apart from maybe collabs or people very close to Hololive. It doesn't really make any business sense (I suspect if Niji or anyone else made something similar they'd also do the same). They want you to watch Hololive, not some random indie.
No it fucking does?
As a viewer: You see your oshi that isnt affiliated with holo get on platform, you check that platform. if platform is alright you stay on the platform. If your favourite oshi isnt streaming, you are more likely to check out holo vtubers you haven't watched before. If a lot of vtubers you like stream on that platform, you'll have no reason to switch to competing platforms like youtube or twitch.
As a creator: You get better reach cause you stream on the same site holos are streaming on. You don't have to worry about getting socked for not abiding by competing platforms tightrope rules.
As a company: More people on platform = more investors = more ads = more money. More streamers on the platform = more paypigs = more money. Larger cut from every streamer giving money to you, additionally to a larger cut from holos now that the middle man is gone!
Its so simple it hurts

kukkia

Early Adopter
No it fucking does?
As a viewer: You see your oshi that isnt affiliated with holo get on platform, you check that platform. if platform is alright you stay on the platform. If your favourite oshi isnt streaming, you are more likely to check out holo vtubers you haven't watched before. If a lot of vtubers you like stream on that platform, you'll have no reason to switch to competing platforms like youtube or twitch.
As a creator: You get better reach cause you stream on the same site holos are streaming on. You don't have to worry about getting socked for not abiding by competing platforms tightrope rules.
As a company: More people on platform = more investors = more ads = more money. More streamers on the platform = more paypigs = more money. Larger cut from every streamer giving money to you, additionally to a larger cut from holos now that the middle man is gone!
Its so simple it hurts
That's assuming they want to go through the headache of making Youtube weeb edition/NND 2.0 instead of just a Hololive streaming platform. Making a streaming service and running it isn't so easy, this is why countless companies have failed to break into Youtube's dominance. Think of all the shit people direct towards Youtube about stream quality, analytics, copyright issues, moderation, etc, and now imagine Cover having to deal with that. Even on a lesser scale it's probably well beyond what the company could handle. Cover can barely moderate a single subreddit let alone an entire streaming platform.

Yes, I am aware that in general streaming can be a viable business. But this scenario would probably require more expansion than what series b funding or whatever nets. It's not impossible but it would mean a real push in a new direction for Cover and I don't see this as being overly likely. And if they aren't going to go all in on that, having just a Holo-only platform makes more sense to me.

Johnny Jambalaya

99%
Early Adopter
Ward Security
That's assuming they want to go through the headache of making Youtube weeb edition/NND 2.0 instead of just a Hololive streaming platform. Making a streaming service and running it isn't so easy, this is why countless companies have failed to break into Youtube's dominance. Think of all the shit people direct towards Youtube about stream quality, analytics, copyright issues, moderation, etc, and now imagine Cover having to deal with that. Even on a lesser scale it's probably well beyond what the company could handle. Cover can barely moderate a single subreddit let alone an entire streaming platform.
Trying to compete with the functionally infinite money Alphabet can pour into Youtube is the most moronic business decision a company could make. At that point you should just burn money in a big pile on the floor to heat your buildings rather than using gas or electric.

The Rrat

Phoneposting, Rat-loving menace
Early Adopter

sbm

Early Adopter
Archivist
I doubt YT streams and videos are going anywhere, discovery will always be better on a platform with 4 billion users, and Cover knows that.

But on their own platform they don't have to deal with things like ContentID, random channel deletion, YT going nuts over swimsuit outfits, etc. Or more interactive 3d content that's no within YT's tech yet. And they have freedom to monetize in different ways like ticket prices or attached merch. So more it's just a second distribution pipeline for content that is annoying to deal with on YT, and if they can simulcast everything there and capture some fans on that platform they can stuff more merch or digital asset purchases down their throats.

DrStupid

Resident Undertaker
Early Adopter
"Y'all ever heard of Bungie?"
not gonna lie, Cover doing a Destiny 2 Hololive event would get me to play it again so quick (except I already plan on it when Lightfall comes just for the hell of it)
Bungie? Really?
They're one of the most woke video game companies out there, as soon as they get wind of miko's gta clips or any other nothingburger they'll jump ship and thow holo under the bus.
Also, bungie is sony's so I doubt HQ would approve a holo collab.

Punished Anime Discusser

Early Adopter
Bungie? Really?
They're one of the most woke video game companies out there, as soon as they get wind of miko's gta clips or any other nothingburger they'll jump ship and thow holo under the bus.
Also, bungie is sony's so I doubt HQ would approve a holo collab.
And with how utterly jewish Bungie has gotten over the last few years, you'd probably be paying $20-$30 minimum for a single crossover skin and emote.

sbm

Early Adopter
Archivist

Nabeshin

My autistic two cents about holoalternative. If hololive tries to make an twitch/youtube alternative they will fail miserably, on the west at least.

People understimate on how big youtube/twitch are, how big is their network effect and how hard is to run a streaming service.

For the network effect for example, you can easily move loyal fans from platform X to platform Y but if you watch youtubers who are more transparent about their channel, you will see that a lot of time most of their viewers aren't subbed or subscribed this alone reduces their channel growth by a good margin as those people wouldn't be interested into creating an account and downloading a new app to watch a streamer.

About being hard to build, there's two points to consider besides creating the platform. The first one is the laws, if cover puts the company on Japan, be ready to have a worst platform that youtube and twitch as their copyright rules are way worse than US.

Second is delivering the content, while they rarely shows, from time to time a big vtuber shows her viewer country list and about 30-50% of them are from small/third world countries, unlike Google and Amazon that has servers in almost every country, Cover wouldn't have money to put a CDN in every country like them, this would make(like NND) that the stream to be sttuterry, laggy and slow. So while it could work on JP because of their culture, I doubt a bit in the west

SaejimaHaruka

I am glad to report that Not Lulu is doing her part, playing THE Wizard Game. The most based of games, that totally doesn't suck tranny dick every chance it gets, and isn't just a slightly underwhelming product profiting WB via exploitation of people's love for Harry Potter. CW: Genocide, Suicide, JP Dubs

I wanted to say she kinda whitewashed her character, but you can't really be all that white in this game. Suffice to say, if you're an east Asian with big eyes, you can bid your self-insert fantasy farewell. Seriously, how are there no sliders in this game?
I'm not sure if she had anything to say about it, since I'm a filthy 日本五下手外人, but she did mistakenly refer to "Voice 1" as the "male" voice and didn't seem too impressed by the voice pitching. Again, how is this a thing in a 2023 AAA release? She also had a little chuckle after realizing that "Witch" and "Wizard" are just code names for sex :unsure:
She seems to be having fun with it though, like pretty much everyone else, and got sorted into one of the two good houses. (That one question quiz really brings about a lot of variety for all the livestreams :))

Horo7618

No one in particular

Scoots

The Pontiff of PonWolf
Early Adopter

Punished Anime Discusser

Early Adopter
"Could you imagine, you have a tiny little human, and if you look away for a second, he's going to jam a fork into a socket and die. And you go to prison for fifteen years." -Vesper talking about his brother's kids

JellyKusa

Early Adopter

Yes, I am aware that in general streaming can be a viable business. But this scenario would probably require more expansion than what series b funding or whatever nets. It's not impossible but it would mean a real push in a new direction for Cover and I don't see this as being overly likely. And if they aren't going to go all in on that, having just a Holo-only platform makes more sense to me.
My autistic two cents about holoalternative. If hololive tries to make an twitch/youtube alternative they will fail miserably, on the west at least.

People understimate on how big youtube/twitch are, how big is their network effect and how hard is to run a streaming service.

For the network effect for example, you can easily move loyal fans from platform X to platform Y but if you watch youtubers who are more transparent about their channel, you will see that a lot of time most of their viewers aren't subbed or subscribed this alone reduces their channel growth by a good margin as those people wouldn't be interested into creating an account and downloading a new app to watch a streamer.

About being hard to build, there's two points to consider besides creating the platform. The first one is the laws, if cover puts the company on Japan, be ready to have a worst platform that youtube and twitch as their copyright rules are way worse than US.

Second is delivering the content, while they rarely shows, from time to time a big vtuber shows her viewer country list and about 30-50% of them are from small/third world countries, unlike Google and Amazon that has servers in almost every country, Cover wouldn't have money to put a CDN in every country like them, this would make(like NND) that the stream to be sttuterry, laggy and slow. So while it could work on JP because of their culture, I doubt a bit in the west
Yeah, I don't think they want to compete with Youtube using their own platform. Rather, they want to become Independent from 3rd party services like SPAWN for streaming Sololives or the HoloFes.
On their own platform they could also eventually make purchasing easier for Overseas fans than it currently is on SPAWN.
Ofc they can also use it to stream content that would be iffy on Youtube, like the swimsuit stuff, but I expect the main use will be to offer Concerts and to be able to attend those concerts both as a regular viewer online and via VR and Headset.

Lurker Throwaway

❄🐮⛓🔅📕💢🔩🎩🦅️🧸🫧🏹🦖🦊🦈🎨🍹️♾️🐧🎇🐍🪶🎴⚗️🐸
Here's Ophie's Unarchived Karaoke Stream; another one left unlisted.
Our Love is God【UNARCHIVED KARAOKE】 - Ophelia Midnight Ch. [VReverie].jpg
Mega Link - Our Love Is God [Unarchived Karaoke].mp4 10.35 GB
Mega Link - My Archived Videos

Tired Taxpayer

I arrived at a weird time, Vesper was explaining how to check if the booty is too big using a pencil and checking if it rolls...

Hff201

Pippa Fan, Failed Normalfriend
Early Adopter

I agree with you on the practical considerations, especially considering livestreaming at a respectable bitrate is demanding even for sites like Twitch so delivering a consistent experience with just a fraction of the resources is a huge ask, and that's before you consider the server space required for storing vods.

I do think, if they were to partner with the right people, they would stand a better chance than any of the other YouTube alternatives we've seen in recent years though, given they have something none of those other sites had: content. YouTube alternatives have traditionally fell into one of two categories: "creator-first" sites that exaggerate the problems with YouTube to market themselves as being better (because their recommendation algorithms are more transparent I guess?), and sites that thrive on housing people who've been banned from YouTube and nothing else.

Vid.me had a really nice UI and a fast-loading player, but they didn't give audiences any reason to visit because the majority of the channels on there were literal 1-view vloggers, and YouTubers who just crossposted their existing videos as a backup. Bitchute was heavily pushed as a "free speech" platform (debatable how well that played out, but that's another discussion entirely) which means the only people who benefit from it are creators making videos about controversial hot-button topics and the politispergs who need a man with a webcam to validate their existing views. I took a look at the site just now and literally everything on the front page is political; general audiences have no reason to use it.

Moving their entire output to a proprietary platform would be incredibly misguided from both a technical and audience retention standpoint, but building a new platform for premium content to bypass YouTube's membership revenue cut could work. The streamers would still benefit from YouTube's discoverability features and the convenience of Super Chat and AdSense for the day-to-day content, it'd just be a more lucrative way to monetise the most engaged fans.

paul

Early Adopter
Kanata is trying a souls game for the first time, and seems to be a bit of a natural. She's properly reading the tutorial messages, landed a parry on an asylum enemy after a couple attempts (perfect parry tenshi), and beat the Asylum Demon on the first try (even if a bit scuffed).
But to be fair: she parried the knight to death without loosing any of her already low health (clip starts around the 4:13h mark).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom