Sithis

Dread Father
Early Adopter
No Lia stream today

Screenshot_20230201-173251-903.png
:cursedbae:THE MOLD GOT HER:cursedbae:

Punished Anime Discusser

Early Adopter

It's not a videogame stream tonight, praise Allah.

sbm

Early Adopter
Archivist
With Yuko's 48 hours donothon finally over, the whole thing has been an impressive success for her!
She made almost 15k subs as she went from 35.8k (same ballpark as the other E-Sekai girls, but already the most subbed of them) before, to currently 50.3k.

If playboard.co is to be believed she made in her previous 2 months of activity about 10k in superchats. I'm not the most frequent idol corp watcher, but I guess they promote quite a bit the option to donate via non-youtube ways, so let's be generous and assume another 10k from all other forms of income.
So she had made an assumed 20k in 2 months.
Now the stream donation tracker's final tally was $34,111. (Fun fact: the top 10 donors listed on stream alone add up to $22,252) She made more than 150% of her previous total revenue in these 48 hours.

In 3 Days we will see Rin's take on the format.

Like already mentioned by others, I also see this happen a few more times until audience willingness to donate will burn out.
I imagine the risk is it flops hard if you don't have the audience reach for it. But doing donation events now is a pretty smart way to take the edge off the growth phase, since you can bank that cash to live off and don't have to think about doing sellout content that narrows your audience. Seeing it driven by the corpo itself is the surprising part to me.

Honestly I'm mostly surprised that Aviel somewhat business savvy. I remember when Idolcorp was first announced people traced his last ventures and they were literal nothing techbro marketing bullshit.

Thomas Talus

Εκ λόγου άλλος εκβαίνει λόγος
Early Adopter

Lee Crabb

Resident Liacon

Netscaper

Early Adopter

Todd's Strongest Howard

Do not trust the sticker farmer.
Early Adopter
Everyone talking about Oceane being a doxxwhore, but all I care about is getting something on Nene Amano.

Punished Anime Discusser

Early Adopter
Honestly I'm mostly surprised that Aviel somewhat business savvy. I remember when Idolcorp was first announced people traced his last ventures and they were literal nothing techbro marketing bullshit.
There's still a possibility this goes the way of early Phase Connect combined with UwUtv. As in, the money Aviel is throwing at his talents starts drying up, his managers aren't up to snuff, and then the first bigger yab that hits implodes the company. Yeah, IdolEN is doing retardedly well, but they've only been around for about two months and are probably in the honeymoon phase, we haven't hit the burnout, internal disagreements, and "ah shit Yamanba why did I decide to run a company full of mid 20s women" phase yet.

DelusionTree

Early Adopter
I have to imagine what Phase Yuko would look like. I didn't watch her as Rye so I don't know how much of her current presentation was part of her personality before vs how much has been fit to the character.
I found clips and archives of Rye stuff on bilibili of all places, with Chinese subtitles.
Lots of stuff there including her full face and various IRL dress ups. Some of that would probably give you a good idea.
Shes pretty cute.

1675296541392.png

Nenélove

Menace of the Asylum
Early Adopter
Nene's Pet Latinx
Latinx/Latine
For everyone talking about oversaturation of the vtuber market, I have a diagram of the industry life cycle that might be of interest.

industry-life-cycle-model1.png

Obviously only a generalization of how markets works.

So what part of the diagram do you all think we're on? I'd say we're somewhere in the shake-out part of the cycle - there's intense competition (are you a vtuber fan? name all the corpos) and declining profitability with several corpos recently failing, but we haven't had much in the way of industry consolidation or slowing of growth, and the major three are still growing, at least somewhat.

Interested to hear what other people think though.
People have been saying that the bubble would pop ever since the end of 2020 (i cannot count the amount of times people would doompost about it on the homeland), and here we are 2 years in and the only decline there has been is due to normies having to go back to work after the pandemic ended. Vtubing IS saturated but it's also a really niche thing still, i think there is still a big potential audience that has not been tapped into.

I don't have any predictions for the future because it is just that uncertain, i don't think anyone could've predicted the boom and this community growing ten-fold in a year, it's all really relative. Maybe the big corpos will monopolize the whole thing and slowly stagnate trying to keep their old successes alive whilst any new offerings are panned by fans for being unoriginal or worse than previous IPs. Maybe the industry will slowly keep growing and bringing new talent into the fold that entertain new audiences for years to come while scrappy startups keep anyone from monopolizing the whole thing.

In my opinion, the worst thing that could happen is this community allowing agencies to reuse characters with different VAs, that will kill vtubing for sure.

Why make new gens of talent that may not be so successful when you can just have Gura, Marine and Fubuki for 25 years? With endless tired reboots? Until the character is just a putrid shambling corpse, the original VA is now a successful voice-actress in her 40s and the new personalities are flanderized and robotic imitations created by a room full of suits. I have seen too many pop-culture communities where the fans are just a bunch of bitter, jaded assholes who do nothing but reminisce about some version of their media that came out 20 years prior and viciously hate any of the new products, i do not want to end up in their shoes.

Last edited:

Sithis

Dread Father
Early Adopter
With Yuko's 48 hours donothon finally over, the whole thing has been an impressive success for her!
She made almost 15k subs as she went from 35.8k (same ballpark as the other E-Sekai girls, but already the most subbed of them) before, to currently 50.3k.

If playboard.co is to be believed she made in her previous 2 months of activity about 10k in superchats. I'm not the most frequent idol corp watcher, but I guess they promote quite a bit the option to donate via non-youtube ways, so let's be generous and assume another 10k from all other forms of income.
Now the stream donation tracker's final tally was $34,111. (Fun fact: the top 10 donors listed on stream alone add up to $22,252) She made more than 150% of her previous total revenue in these 48 hours.

Like already mentioned by others, I also see this happen a few more times until audience willingness to donate will burn out.
It was honestly nuts watching it all unfold. I thought the /vt/ anons talking about whale conspiracies were LARPing but they went even harder than they indicated. Within about a 4 hour block between leaving for work and checking on progress she had made several thousand more dollars.
The one thing aside from burnout I worry could fuck things up is the confusion regarding whale rewards etc. First there was some uncertainty about what the "we will cover costs" stuff meant, then there were /vt/ rumors spoiling shit by convincing people to whale in when they weren't gonna get the letter anyway, and it's not entirely been made clear how management will handle certain goals (ex: a lot of people were expecting a physical book but Yuko hinted it might end up being a digital kids book).
I feel like people wagering multiple thousands in donos should read the fine print more carefully and not trust rumors but it will still probably leave a bad taste in some of their mouths. Management and talent both read the boards, it wouldn't have taken much effort to be crystal clear on official terms, so them not doing so makes it look like they just let things unfold to collect more donos whether true or not.
I strongly doubt Rin will go anywhere near as hard as Yuko either in dono goals or stream length. She might surprise me and it'd be cool if she did, but Yuko has that high energy thing going while also being able to wrangle her chat during chill chat times. Rin has some great ideas and is hilarious but I've never seen her just chill and talk to her chat, she is more of an entertainer than a chatter.
I'm sure Juna will rake in tons of donos. Some anons are claiming to be saving funds for Pochi which will be nice too. The unknown here is Fuyo, idk how to gauge how many whales will still be around for her.

thhrang

Punished Autism Extraordinaire
Early Adopter
Ward Security
♥Realticule's Husbando♥

lakyus

Unicorns are the most oppressed minority
Early Adopter

Drosselmeyer

Tick Tock Tee
While I usually believe corporations when shit like this happens (in the case of an instant termination) often there is more to it than just that.
This is pretty huge. Aside from Nene, she was their top talent when it comes to donations and CCV. Aletta passed her in subs but not in CCV. I also listened to her last stream. Weird how she's just gone, like that. Given her success, I would expect her to pop up as an indie (do we even know who her past life was?). I am a bit curious as to what exactly was she saying. Additionally one of the sentences made it look like she was also interacting with people she shouldn't be interacting with. Wonder if she pulled a Vera Vee.
Her past life was Mai Melody: Youtube | Twitch
She apparently has a stream scheduled for Friday. Although, I don't know if that's an automated remnant from her past or not. She also created a MaiMelody twitter account this morning, but was promptly deleted after it was posted on /vt/.

Punished Anime Discusser

Early Adopter
Get ready for another KKKaren yab. Gets dropped in Eastern Europe somewhere, sees Cyrillic, goes "Oh, Russia, what's up my Russian Dead Beats". 30 seconds later it turns out it's Kiev. Followed by "I would die if I came here".

"Ooh, look at that cool graffiti!" turns to look at it, it's a swastika (I think)

Last edited:

Johnny Jambalaya

99%
Early Adopter
Ward Security

thhrang

Punished Autism Extraordinaire
Early Adopter
Ward Security
♥Realticule's Husbando♥

Aquatic Novellite

Freshwater Shiorin
Early Adopter
Given how Cover started out and what it is still trying to do (with debatable success at best), there's an argument to be made that techbros with literally nothing are the best possible base for a chuuba corp.

DrStupid

Resident Undertaker
Early Adopter
Rin got her new PC, but what has she done to minecraft?
IDK if it's a made up memory, but reminds me of when gura used Pirate Speak as menu language in MC wayyy back.

"So, when I'm getting tested whether I'm a bot or not, I know I'm not a bot, so I want them to double test me to really be sure that I'm not a bot. Y'know what I mean?" The most hinged member of guild tempus, everyone.

Unhinged as always and he loves Neuro-Sama, it s good to have Vesper back in a kind of "stable" state. I think he mentioned no collab around when he mention Neuro-Sama so I guess he is still full of anxiety.

Edit: ASMR digging a hole...
To expand on the "no collab" thing. He explained he's drained his social battery and that he had experienced the same thing in college and he "recovered" in roughly 2 months.
It's worth mentioning he made a "vow" of not cancelling streams or taking breaks for a year (except in case of hospitalization, not counting the weekly breaks) because he felt guilty about the extended break he had to take right after his suspension.
Also, we got a bit more info regarding the reasons behind his trip to japan. Axel was the one organizing it, and when he heard Vesper's state after spending the holidays with his relatives he suggested he abort the trip and offered to split the cost of the plane ticket. But Vesper being the cheapskate that he is, and having little to no self awareness of his mental state, decided to travel anyways because he already paid for the tickets.

I wonder what kind of special stream he's planning to do. The only clues he gave were:
1- He came up with it while watching neuro
2- He's gonna test the waters with chat during the needy streamer overload stream.
3- Management is on board with it.

I'm taking credit for my "Vesper, are you sure you aren't a replicant" comment stunlocking him enough to go full into this tangent.
fuck, that was you? I was listening vesper in the background and you really threw him for a loop there. IDK if he really got an autismo moment or if he was thinking how to use that comment for content.

All the e-sekai girls are currently describing bug eating...

Is this it? Is that what it has come to, Klaus? Because I still won't eat the bugs no matter how many waifus you throw at me.
What's up with bug eating lately? shiina just mentioned the same thing in the opening part of her stream
With WACTOR imploding, I wonder if Cover will take Coco's earlier suggestion to build a HoloES branch and possibly fill it with ex-WACTOR talents. It would fit the Yagoo meme of him saving talents from irrelevancy, plus the market is wide open now. Speaking of WACTOR, I know some of you guys don't like False, but I think he made a decent summary of the situation for you guys who don't understand Spanish.

There are already plenty of indie (and not so indie) Ñtubers going around. There's a group that's managed by a company (Kudasai is the corp, KudaLIVE is the group) that started as an pirate anime streaming site (AnimeFLV) and they're pulling between 15k and 40k followers on twitch.
2023-02-01 21_18_26-KotoriHikari - Twitch - Brave.png2023-02-01 21_18_45-LinaVermillion - Twitch - Brave.png2023-02-01 21_18_58-Akitsuri - Twitch - Brave.png
I'd like to see major corpos interact a bit more with the ES community, and I think Hakka is a good start.

Almost time for Shiina to play FF7remake! I keep thinking it's almost over because I though it was supposed to be a short a game, but I guess I'm retarded and it's a long ass game.
It's not that long. I won't say it to shiina's face, but she's pretty bad at it.

Low key amazed at Yuko's growth and performance. I've never watched Rye and the first time I've heard about her was when Pippa participated on her last stream before going on hiatus.

For everyone talking about oversaturation of the vtuber market, I have a diagram of the industry life cycle that might be of interest.

industry-life-cycle-model1.png

Obviously only a generalization of how markets works.

So what part of the diagram do you all think we're on? I'd say we're somewhere in the shake-out part of the cycle - there's intense competition (are you a vtuber fan? name all the corpos) and declining profitability with several corpos recently failing, but we haven't had much in the way of industry consolidation or slowing of growth, and the major three are still growing, at least somewhat.

Interested to hear what other people think though.
Going by this graph, I'd say we're entering in the mature stage. The big hitters are entering a plateau, and Idol-EN feels like will be the last "big" small corpo.
By now we've seen the limits of being a corpo streamer and for many that's a dealbreaker even if it means lacking the support that comes with being part of an organization.

Unrelated to the previous comment, but my GOD are these two something else. I think Bettel misspelled geniuses in the title.

Magni is giving me huge "dad energy" vibes with the vanguard bois. He's been interacting with them constantly, they have anecdotes of him from before debut, etc.

Last edited:

Sithis

Dread Father
Early Adopter
What's up with bug eating lately? shiina just mentioned the same thing in the opening part of her stream
In Shiinas case it wouldn't surprise me if watching Yukos stream put the thought in her head, I know she watches her as she popped up in chat a few times before and I think still even has mod privs. I'm sure she was watching the donothon, lurking in our midst.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom