"We had anime and Hitler on our side and we still didn't fucking make it"Pipkin Pippa

Art of Clipping/Translations

Een Gevolg

Undead Nurse #1
Early Adopter
As I'm fairly sure we have a couple people who do clips in the crowd, this seems like something good to talk about.
  • What software do you use for clipping, and for making subtitles (not a lot of choices there probably)? What sort of tips and tricks do you have for making this as easy as possible, especially in terms of the annoying aspects like timestamping?
  • What do you generally prefer in terms of editing; something simpler that just focuses on the clip itself, or some editing here and there to try enhancing the experience? More importantly, how many funny memes like le funny old man getting a stroke down the stairs should you shove in, and why is the answer "all of them"?
  • If you somehow have experience translating someone else's clips, how do you usually get in touch with them to send them the file? This is your friendly reminder that you used to be able to just put them up automatically without having to chase anyone around and praying they notice you, but then Youtube, the world's biggest video-hosting service, couldn't figure out how to stop drooling toddlers from vandalizing community subtitles.
  • And more related to clip/clip translation videos
As I'm not an expert, I can probably answer fuck all in regards to this. Most I can offer is that, if for whatever reason you want to convert your hardsubs to a format that best supports Youtube's caption system (ex. ability to post subtitles for multiple languages in one video), I've been using YTSubConverter, and it seems to do a pretty good job. The effects likely won't be very visible in Youtube's caption editor, but in most cases they should transfer just fine when you see the actual video.

Azehara

!!Foot Dox Confirmed!!
Early Adopter
To somewhat fill this shit up. I use Davinci Resolve. Its free and has a ton of effects and transitions integrated

I use Youtube To Mp3/Mp4 online converters to get clips from youtube or even sound files and I use a shitton of images I get online which I often have to Photoshop. For the most part I just cut shit together and add a photo or two and some sound effects.

GOD'S STRONGEST BUILDERBEAR

"Shut up, Dazzle. I will clip your balls" -SB
Early Adopter
heres my first clip. Posting it here before publishing it so i wouldn't shit my pants if the editing is god awful. Plz criticize!

Godzilla1984

Early Adopter
heres my first clip. Posting it here before publishing it so i wouldn't shit my pants if the editing is god awful. Plz criticize!

Write subtitle text in word processor before pasting into video editor to catch spelling errors/typos.
There are a few.

Murrayしないで

Just go live!

I suggest you use a sans-serif font for your captions (more information on the difference between serif and sans-serif fonts can be found on the internet) and use a white outline if you're using a dark text color, or a black one if a light one. The dark titles with the dark outline blend in with the dark background a bit too much.

Early Adopter
I suggest you use a sans-serif font for your captions (more information on the difference between serif and sans-serif fonts can be found on the internet) and use a white outline if you're using a dark text color, or a black one if a light one. The dark titles with the dark outline blend in with the dark background a bit too much.
I like tapers tho....
About outline, thought so too but it was kinda late, and i couldn't really edit "Text+" thingies in bulk. I would have to edit them manually one by one and then i couldn't get myself to do it. I'll change fonts today, thanks!

hylic

Empty_Inbox

🏆 Thread Recap links are in my Profile Posts
Early Adopter
Deranged Archivist
This channel features high effort edited clips with subtitles, also streams editing them live - Phalnoa Ch

Example of a clip

Example of a livestream

kestraline

Early Adopter
To somewhat fill this shit up. I use Davinci Resolve. Its free and has a ton of effects and transitions integrated
Any good guides on DaVinci? I used to use Vegas for editing and not really happy about the more recent versions, at the same time I lost my old versions so can't really figure that stuff out. I don't need anything fancy so thought DaVinci might work best for me.

I tried dropping a video in it earlier but it wouldn't begin at the first second, so not sure what I was doing wrong.

Early Adopter
Any good guides on DaVinci? I used to use Vegas for editing and not really happy about the more recent versions, at the same time I lost my old versions so can't really figure that stuff out. I don't need anything fancy so thought DaVinci might work best for me.

I tried dropping a video in it earlier but it wouldn't begin at the first second, so not sure what I was doing wrong.
Davinci only understands names in ASCII so if there is a fancy unicode symbol or an emoji or a charm mark or anything that doesnt resemble an eglish character it wont load a clip. Remove all the invalid characters from a name and try again

21st Century Pipkin Man

rabbit's foot, vomit drawer
Could anyone give advice on, or share their workflow when it comes to subtitles? It feels extremely time consuming and probably the least interesting part of editing.
I'm currently using DaVinci Resolve and basically going through the clip, finding spots where subtitles need to be added, and inserting / timing / writing them as I go. I don't have issues with spelling mistakes and I'm too ESL to ever worry about things like grammar and punctuation too much, but just getting them done feels like it takes WAY longer than it should. It's usually also the very last thing I do, so I'm just itching to be done with it.

Alternatively:
-When it comes to English-speaking vtubers, do you even consider subtitles important enough to bother with?
-Have any of you tried solutions to auto-generate subtitles, which one could then review and fix as necessary?

Thomas Talus

Εκ λόγου άλλος εκβαίνει λόγος
Early Adopter
Subtitles can be useful if you have multiple people talking, either for new viewers who don't have voices memorized or for chaotic crosstalk.

Early Adopter
Could anyone give advice on, or share their workflow when it comes to subtitles? It feels extremely time consuming and probably the least interesting part of editing.
I'm currently using DaVinci Resolve and basically going through the clip, finding spots where subtitles need to be added, and inserting / timing / writing them as I go. I don't have issues with spelling mistakes and I'm too ESL to ever worry about things like grammar and punctuation too much, but just getting them done feels like it takes WAY longer than it should. It's usually also the very last thing I do, so I'm just itching to be done with it.

Alternatively:
-When it comes to English-speaking vtubers, do you even consider subtitles important enough to bother with?
-Have any of you tried solutions to auto-generate subtitles, which one could then review and fix as necessary?
It matters if you have an audience of mostly ESL people, which, to be honest with the amount of pinoys in any vtuber community, is very likely. So like I make every video I can subtitled, even tho it take a while and it's fucking tedious as shit.
Now googles autogenerated subtitles are pretty good if you want a shortcut, even tho it stumbles over names and can't do shit if your vtuber has a bad case of british teeth like pippa does. There are few extentions that allow you to download the subtitles off of youtube. I myself use this one
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ycs-youtube-comment-searc/pmfhcilikeembgbiadjiojgfgcfbcoaa
But feel free to find your own solutions

21st Century Pipkin Man

It matters if you have an audience of mostly ESL people, which, to be honest with the amount of pinoys in any vtuber community, is very likely. So like I make every video I can subtitled, even tho it take a while and it's fucking tedious as shit.
Now googles autogenerated subtitles are pretty good if you want a shortcut, even tho it stumbles over names and can't do shit if your vtuber has a bad case of british teeth like pippa does. There are few extentions that allow you to download the subtitles off of youtube. I myself use this one
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ycs-youtube-comment-searc/pmfhcilikeembgbiadjiojgfgcfbcoaa
But feel free to find your own solutions
Thanks, regurgitating auto-generated subs was my first thought, but I gaslit myself into not even trying it. In return, here's how to only pull the auto-generated EN subtitle files using yt-dlp in case anyone would find it helpful:
Code:
yt-dlp --write-auto-sub --sub-lang "en.*" --skip-download --sub-format ttml YOURVIDEOURL
Note: If no format selected, yt-dlp gets .vtt subs that seem to not work in DaVinci Resolve unless you edit them to include numbering. However, .ttml seems to work just fine, and the .vtt might work in other editing software.

Azehara

!!Foot Dox Confirmed!!
Early Adopter

Alternatively:
I have done subs like 3 times. Hated all 3 times and honestly it kills me inside to do that kind of shit.

Lee Crabb

Resident Liacon

Alternatively:
Have you tried making a power bin? It helps at least with keeping all the subtitles the same size and position, and color. This video helped me tremendously.

hylic

Alternatively:
I use Premiere so I can't give any specific advice but I can attest that subtitling is a incredibly tedious and painful process with no shortcuts.
1689099826698.png
I do not auto-generate subtitles because speech to text is garbage, especially for gameplay with dialogue or instances where multiple people are talking. It is also no good for languages other than english.

Every subtitle I do is manually timed.
I do a pass over the entire edited video and paste the text template element at the start of every line.
Then do another pass to find the end of every line (depends on context, how close you are to the next line or cut, how long it takes for the viewer to read the line).
Then I do another longer pass to translate and fill in text. Each pass takes about 2 times the length of the video. Translation takes a bit longer.

The entire translation and subbing process takes me about 6-8 times the length of the video itself, so I can expect eight hours to complete subbing an hour long video. This is a bit slower than your typical solo anime fansubber because scripted dialogue is much easier to translate than stream of consciousness zatsudan or gamer talk.

I think subtitles for short clips are worth it. Subs increase retention and reduce the amount of attention one has to pay to get the gist of a video. Only a complete maniac would subtitle an hour long video.

21st Century Pipkin Man

Have you tried making a power bin? It helps at least with keeping all the subtitles the same size and position, and color. This video helped me tremendously.

Cool, this'll absolutely help keep things consistent across projects.

effortpost
Many thanks, this is a pretty complete answer to everything I was wondering about, and the Premiere UI doesn't make it look like it's markedly better or worse.

The Rrat

Ratgirl-idol Connoisseur
Early Adopter
I think subtitles for short clips are worth it. Subs increase retention and reduce the amount of attention one has to pay to get the gist of a video. Only a complete maniac would subtitle an hour long video.
Been thinking about this since I read the initial post, but they also help with previews, imo. You can see previews of what the clips will be about without relying on YouTube's flaky auto-transcripting.

hylic

Mandatory reading for all new clippers

wreqr.PNG

Top Bottom