"Some of those might be girls. Some of those must be girls... But there's definitely someone in Final Fantasy 14 who's 100% authentic verified certified female... Someone in there out of all the profiles in Final Fantasy 14, definitely there's at least one female in there"Shiori Novella

The Bookstore - Staffed by Pippa (Disclaimer: Pippa Not Included)

Realticule

The retardation shall rise again!
Early Adopter
I CAN STILL FIX HER
✡︎ God's Chosen Schizo ✡︎
Can anyone tell me if reading the Myth of Sisyphus is worth my time? By the Camus fella.
Camus is pretty good, if you want a companion read grab something like "The Trial" by Kafka and "The Stranger" by Camus, and think about how both authors treat the main character versus the world in their respective books. It's basically an inversion of one another, and while Kafka was actually an Existentialist, Camus always claimed to be an Absurdist.

I can recommend The King in Yellow by Robert W. Chambers:
I'll second this, and for those who don't know, Robert Chambers was a big inspiration to Lovecraft, which is why Hastur, the king in yellow, shows up in Lovecraft's works.

uquusquad

creator, innovator, artist, idea
Early Adopter

Indexfags get the rope.

I blame @raildex, we COULD be reading NHK now. BUT NOOOOOOOOOOOO.
The topic of light novel has sprung up in the pippa thread. Let me take this occasion to shill the only light novel I ever enjoyed reading.
Spice and Wolf (free downloads on archive.org)
It has been a "few" years since I read them, but I can still recall the plot of a most of the early volumes. Such a fun read (gets a bit worse around vol 12/ 13-ish, I would still recommend it).
The few other light novels I have read were kinda shit, but anyone got any recommendations?

Last edited:

PassiveUnaggressive

Early Adopter
The topic of light novel has sprung up in the pippa thread. Let me take this occasion to shill the only light novel I ever enjoyed reading.
It has been a "few" years since I read them, but I can still recall the plot of a most of the early volumes. Such a fun read (gets a bit worse around vol 12/ 13-ish, I would still recommend it).
The few other light novels I have read were kinda shit, but anyone got any recommendations?
You know what, it's been forever, but I remember enjoying Rakuin no Monshou for some reason: https://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index.php?title=Rakuin_no_Monshou

I remember being somewhat unsatisfied with later volumes (happens with most LNs tbh), but I remember this sticking in my mind

uquusquad

creator, innovator, artist, idea
Early Adopter

Banana Hammock

Born to Sneed
Early Adopter
Slayers is a really good one.

Harrow Prime

Not Like Before.
Early Adopter
Kronii's Husband
So for my first book I've completely read in years, I really enjoyed Myth of Sisyphus. Read through it all in about 3 hours or so, and I was actually interested in what was being discussed. I don't really consider myself entertained by the topic of stuff like philosophy very often, but when I'm in the mood I really like to do deep dives on it. If you haven't read it yet I'd personally recommend it.
Little sidenote, I read it out loud. All 123 pages apparently. I kept losing myself when reading silently, and unfortunately my throat is killing me because of it.
Edit: I also had WAR from Ultrakill playing, which is the theme of Sisyphus Prime. Just a fun fact.

Last edited:

DrStupid

Resident Undertaker
Early Adopter
Ok, I'll bite the bullet and make this question here, because I don't know where to ask and it's tangentially related to a vtuber.

Was the novel "Watership Down"some kind of cultural blockbuster when it was originally published?

Because I recently came aware of it's existence and find that it not only has a character called Pipkin (maybe it was the yabit's namesake) but it also is tangentially mentioned in a Gundam manga (Advance if Zeta, where the mobile suits are named after the rabbits, like Hazel or Hyzenthlay and Woundwort). I feel I'm suffering something like the superduper effect and I'm seeing references to it everywhere.

Godzilla1984

Early Adopter
It's fairly popular in literature circles, but the original animated film traumatized generations and now lives rent free in the collective unconscious.

Nenélove

Cured and Medicated
Early Adopter
Nene's Pet Latinx
Latinx/Latine
Ok, I'll bite the bullet and make this question here, because I don't know where to ask and it's tangentially related to a vtuber.

Was the novel "Watership Down"some kind of cultural blockbuster when it was originally published?

Because I recently came aware of it's existence and find that it not only has a character called Pipkin (maybe it was the yabit's namesake) but it also is tangentially mentioned in a Gundam manga (Advance if Zeta, where the mobile suits are named after the rabbits, like Hazel or Hyzenthlay and Woundwort). I feel I'm suffering something like the superduper effect and I'm seeing references to it everywhere.
I have never heard of the book, it's always the movie adaptation that's brought up because of how horrifying it is for kid's media, being part of a particular trend of animal focused, violence ridden, disturbingly dark, british? animated children's media along with shit like Animal farm, the plague dogs and animals of farthing wood. This one is definitely the most culturally relevant though.

Thomas Talus

Εκ λόγου άλλος εκβαίνει λόγος
Early Adopter
The book was a bestseller at the time it was printed.

MrProcessor

Soldier of Godrick

Aquatic Novellite

Freshwater Shiorin
Early Adopter
Exceptionally late, but
I feel mandatory reading for vtubing-related activities should include Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson and Neuromancer by William Gibson. If anything, Snow Crash helped establish stuff we take for granted today such as virtual identities and avatars. It came out around the time Shadowrun was doing the rounds as a pen & paper rpg.

View attachment 20382
Riku as L. Bob Rife
Yagoo as Uncle Enzo
Sora as Hiro Protagonist
Pekora as Y.T.*
Vesper as Raven**

* you may debate this, but she has a teaching licence, and given that Y.T. becomes Miss Matheson...
** he's practically canned, a revenge spree involving his harpoon spear is just around the corner

Awoogers

basic ass man who loves the british funny woman
im not much since my tastes are inherently shit but rokujouma no shinryakusha is something ive been following since volume 1 that im still surprised that its still in serialization as well as hidan no aria and unlimited fafnir before bakatsuki (seemingly?)stopped translating it

Horo7618

No one in particular

Security

irc.rizon.net #TheVirtualAsylum
Another book I'd say people should read, and one that's rather short is "The Myth of Robber Barons"
View attachment 20555

It's a book that was published in the very early 90's and takes a contrarian look at some American monopolists in that they often times fought the government in the same industry in which they were in and won, despite being faced with infinite money printing in a sense. One thing that I think is very interesting, is that the book doesn't just take the counter point, but actually in the later chapters challenges the education system by pointing out what things school text books cover and what they omit in favor of a narrative. It's very interesting to see how even a hundred years ago the narrative was being pushed in academia.

Just finished Burton W. Folsom, Jr.'s The Myth of the Robber Barons and I was pretty disappointed in the book until I was reading the final chapter. Even still, I find it was less than I was hoping for, as I was expecting more detail than it provided.

The book mainly comes off as a love letter to various entrepreneurs of the 1800s, instead of being an in-depth analysis of the misconceptions of these people and how they operated. I was hoping for a more analytical approach, with details regarding things like the working conditions and how they compared to other businesses (private and public) at the time. Instead, it gave mini-biographies of various people and their notable business ventures.

It wasn't until the second to last chapter on Andrew Mellon that the author started dealing with direct counter-points to the prevailing narrative. I wanted more stuff like that throughout the book. The last chapter intensifies on that and really goes hard on giving examples of misconceptions and incorrect information (and outright lies) and counters them with sourced information that he also established in the earlier chapters.

Perhaps what I wanted was beyond the scope of this book, and he was just trying to counter one aspect, that of free enterprise vs government intervention. Additionally, the book was seemingly written for a more casual reader, like Henry Hazlitt's Economics in One Lesson, which I also just recently finished and was also underwhelmed by, as it felt more like a conversation than a lesson. This is likely just my personal preference as I prefer books that are more analytical, near textbook-like. Both these books weren't bad, just not what I was exactly looking for.

Speaking of which, my next book is Sowell's latest. His writing style resonates much more with me, and follows the more analytical approach that I seek.

Sidenote: the most terrifying thing in the last chapter is Folsom showing just how much of our school's textbooks, even K-12, are written by literal communists. Good lord.

Realticule

Early Adopter
I CAN STILL FIX HER
Additionally, the book was seemingly written for a more casual reader, like Henry Hazlitt's Economics in One Lesson, which I also just recently finished and was also underwhelmed by, as it felt more like a conversation than a lesson. This is likely just my personal preference as I prefer books that are more analytical, near textbook-like. Both these books weren't bad, just not what I was exactly looking for.
You hit the nail on the head here. The book is not a great resource for the informed reader, outside of his breakdown of how horrible most school textbooks are, but rather it's more of an introduction to the casual listener. If I remember correctly, the book was part of a class he taught on the topic, and was most likely the introduction to the class as a whole, sort of how "Zero to One" by Peter Thiel or "The Right to Choose" by Milton Friedman was a lecture series for classes before being turned into a book. You're generally not going to get exceptionally in depth information from a more general class like that, but I completely get your take on it as I had much the same on the first readthrough, though have become much more favorable on it as a way to get normies introduced to such ideas.

Sidenote: the most terrifying thing in the last chapter is Folsom showing just how much of our school's textbooks, even K-12, are written by literal communists. Good lord.
This was also the one part that really shocked me, the same with how "When Genius Failed" covered the cause and result of the crisis, in that it's staggering that a lot of these problems have existed for so long and there was little done to rectify them in any way. The old adage of "they'll learn when they reach the real world" is the very epitome of fools repeating history as they refuse to learn from it.

Planetary Bombardment

It's the only way to be sure.
I've been spending a great deal of time on planes recently which has given me an opportunity to work through some book backlog. All three of these are very much outside of my regular wheelhouse, so I gave them a shot in much the same way I'd try some odd food I encountered. Spoilers ahead, and I'm going to tag Mr. @Reticule as the first one was his suggestion.

thursday.jpg
After a false start I returned to the book and read it all the way through in one go. I found the book enjoyable, and especially liked the comedy of all of the wealthy anarchists actually being police since that's a joke that still holds up to this day. I don't know how I feel about the book's ending because honestly I don't understand what happened. No matter how many times I read it, lol guys it was all just a dream appears to be the only conclusion I can draw. Then again I'm not particularly clever, so I may need it spoonfed to me.

legends.jpg
I bought this from a brick-and-mortar I was wandering in because the cover art is ridiculous. Unsurprisingly, the women pictured end up lesbians. It's an interesting idea; books about swords and sorcery are usually about grand adventures and world-ending evil and here the retired adventurer orc lady just wants to run a coffee shop. It was a pleasant read that didn't require too much brain power, the subversion of expectations regarding the antagonist wasn't too egregious, and the characters were written fairly enough. However if this is what's needed to be a New York Times Bestseller I suspect the bar might be kind of low.

meats.jpg
I forget what I used as a search string to find this, but it was originally used as a joke directed at Mr. Reticule's meat-related proclivities. Being rather inebriated at the time I went ahead bought it. The protagonist is a self-insert dangerhair hafu with a thing for black men. The female characters are either stronk independent women or poor victims being crushed beneath the heel of their men. The male characters are all comically evil and/or inept. The book ends with the co-protagonist (a terribly meek Japanese woman) making friends with all of the nice ethnic people on an American train after deciding she was a lesbian and fleeing Japan. Somehow, in spite of all of this nonsense, it still manages a good book. Central to the plot is all of the weird shit we here in the US inject into our meat, and that aspect appears very well researched. Mrs. Ozeki is clearly competent, so it's a shame she felt the need to fill her story with lefty erotica. Then again, she is part Canadian.

I normally stick to reading books from the Army's Chief of Staff's reading list and on the opposite end of the spectrum I buy entire boxes of decades-old, trash-ass sci-fi paperbacks off of eBay for ten dollars or so. This was a fun exercise; might do it again.

Realticule

Early Adopter
I CAN STILL FIX HER
Then again I'm not particularly clever, so I may need it spoonfed to me.
Chesterton is a philosopher in a sense who contributed a decent amount to religious discussion and is probably best known for "Chesterton's Fence" which is the notion that if you find a random fence in the wild you should learn why it exists before tearing it down, something that's rarely thought of today.

As for what I think the ending means, I'll let Sam Hyde answer that question from the end of his Ted Talk:

View attachment bunchacrapsmall2.mp4

My view of the whole book is to give the reader a sense of so many hotly argued topics actually being a bunch of nothing, sort of how Sam Hyde infiltrated the Ted Talk circuit to show it was all a bunch of ego stroking bullshit by that point. I'll also say in that era of history, authors seemed to be more open to endings that weren't resolved, such as in Atlas Shrugged the ending for Eddy Wheeler is essentially inconclusion and supposedly Ayn Rand wanted the reader to decide what happened based on if they were an optimist or a pessimist in world view.

Planetary Bombardment

It's the only way to be sure.
I'm torn, in a sense. I was educated by teachers and later professors obsessed with hidden meanings, allegories, and deep lessons - so I'm inclined to believe Mr. Hyde and think it's all a bunch of crap. That being said, why would anyone bother to write a book without a purpose? Of course, the purpose could be simple entertainment.

I've never read Atlas Shrugged. It might be a wonderful work, but I am suspicious of material lauded as 'amazing' by established intellectuals en masse and also created by a woman. Or to be more blunt I thought Bioshock was full of itself and the series put me off of the reference material. I suppose I should give it a chance.

Realticule

Early Adopter
I CAN STILL FIX HER
I'm torn, in a sense. I was educated by teachers and later professors obsessed with hidden meanings, allegories, and deep lessons - so I'm inclined to believe Mr. Hyde and think it's all a bunch of crap. That being said, why would anyone bother to write a book without a purpose? Of course, the purpose could be simple entertainment.

I've never read Atlas Shrugged. It might be a wonderful work, but I am suspicious of material lauded as 'amazing' by established intellectuals en masse and also created by a woman. Or to be more blunt I thought Bioshock was full of itself and the series put me off of the reference material. I suppose I should give it a chance.
Much the same, and that's why I found this so refreshing as it feels like the point is to make you think there's going to be some big pay off only to show you that it's really not all that deep. As for a book without purpose, it's not without purpose, in the same way Sam Hyde's Ted Talk wasn't without purpose, in that both are to show that you can have fun, enjoy the moment, and not necessarily obsess about something abstract. Though I will say the ending is very controversial and I'm just giving my take on it, but the longer clip of that Sam Hyde ending shows the next question being to the bald guy who goes on to give some retarded babble about cultures that explore being more prosperous relating to space travel and Sam just sits there visibly dejected because it's the exact thing that he just lampooned.

As for Atlas Shrugged, it's ok. Book One is pretty solid but then it goes into nonsense territory, though if you want the Atlas Shrugged experience without all of the bullshit, read "The Fountain Head" by Ayn Rand, it's basically the same story but it's more rooted in reality and I think has better themes overall. Ayn Rand has a lot of high points, but her fanboys are annoying as shit.

Oh, and they made a trilogy of movies out of Atlas Shrugged which is interesting:

I will say Hank Reardan and his story is completely in line with what's happening with looting and governments right now where they basically try to kill anything new, then fuck with it by shit laws, but the second the business says fuck it and closes shop they cry and ask how can Walmart or whatever create food deserts in their area because it will hurt the minorities that robbed the store out of business.

Also, Rand did predict the attention economy in many ways

Oh and

Last edited:
Top Bottom