"Ooh fuck me up Motsar (Mozart)... I'm gonna drink the last bit of soup, ooh"Tenma Maemi

The Bookstore - Staffed by Pippa (Disclaimer: Pippa Not Included)

Security

irc.rizon.net #TheVirtualAsylum
tssjf.jpg

Finished reading Thomas Sowell's latest book Social Justice Fallacies, and I'm a bit underwhelmed. I'm unsure just who this book is written for. If it is written for proponents of social justice, it's quite the assumption that they'd even read it. If for his regular readers, it's a very short summary of various topics he's gone into greater length in various other books.

The proponents of social justice are the same people with the unconstrained vision he's written about, and he knows this. The negative aspects he addresses in this book are positives in their eyes. However, with he himself having once been on the other side of the fence, maybe he thinks the information presented here would be convincing enough to open their minds. I have significant doubts about that, but I suppose he would know better than me, from his experience and wisdom. My disagreement would come from me being more in touch with the current wave of these people simply by age.

If not written for those people, best I can say is that this feels like a good starting point for your average person who is not a devotee of the social justice mindset, but who has heard bits and pieces of the good sounding aspects and like what they heard. This would be something for them to see some of how it actually operates and what actually comes from it, and set them on the path to learn more. However, again, I am unsure if this is actually written for that person in mind. Best I can figure is it's some sort of amalgam of being for social justice advocates, at the general population, and himself as an outlet of his frustrations.

For those familiar with his books, it feels more like a primer. This makes sense, given the title, as his Economic Facts and Fallacies also felt like a primer, and was also underwhelming to me when I had already read his Basic Economics and Applied Economics.

I had been hoping, after Charter Schools and their Enemies, that Sowell would be able to get out at least one more book, and that it'd be on social justice. That it's not a giant, more focused take down on social justice, not only how it is in modern day but all throughout history, is quite disappointing - however, given that most his books in the past thirty years are about the particular mindset these people have, it's kind of difficult for me to complain, and Intellectuals and Society is largely already that.

So for normies, I'd recommend it. For people who are already familiar with Sowell's work, it's... fine. Not one of his best, and plenty of others I'd recommend over it, but it works as almost a quick reference guide to his other books, given how much he directly sources from them.

Euthyphro

In light of all the developments in the VTubing world so far in 2024, there has been a lot of discussion and interest in the differing attitudes of EN and JP fan communities, as well as the dynamics between English-speaking VTubers and the mainly Japanese companies that employ them. If you, asylum-dweller, want a solid foundation in any Japan-centric cultural discussion, then here's the book for you:
chrysanthemum-and-the-sword.jpg
The Chrysanthemum and the Sword is the seminal work of modern Japanese cultural studies, written in 1946 as a guide for American officials to understand the character of the defeated Japanese. Originating as a compilation of anthropologist Ruth Benedict's reports to the U.S. Office of War Information, it is perhaps best known for popularizing the idea of Japan as a "shame"-based culture, as opposed to "guilt"-driven Western culture. More than that though, it is about the contradictory character of Japanese culture, where rules are highly context-dependent, where Western concepts of unified moral and ethical systems simply do not apply.

It is all the more interesting then that this book came from war-time studies. This fact makes it a far more goal-oriented book compared to most anthropological works, which seek to document and observe, rather than conquer and subdue. The roots of this book as a practical text mean that it is highly readable and accessible to laymen compared to more academic works.

Now, it's worth noting that Japan has changed significantly in the decades since the war, and over the decades, much ink has been spilled questioning the accuracy of Benedict's description of Japanese culture. Still, the effect of this book on Western views of Japan and Japanese views of themselves can't be understated. In the same way that some have described Western philosophy as all footnotes to Plato, an entire genre of works on "Japanese-ness" owes its existence to The Chrysanthemum and the Sword.

Upon reading this book, you will hopefully be able to navigate through a discussion on why your JP oshi and Japanese companies act the way they do, and look smart to strangers on the internet while doing it. After all, everyone knows that the best shitposting is accurate shitposting.

Fucking YTs

I just want to annoy people in peace.
Early Adopter
While this don't quite fit the mold for this section I'd like to mention my favorite podcast: 372 Pages We'll Never Get Back, it was originally created by two of the Rifftrax/One of MST3K writer/performers to eviscerate one of the worst modern novels: Ready Player One way back in 2017 when the movie was announced.

Since then, they've delved into bizarre manifestos, TekWar, My Immortal, 'Cozy Mysteries', and my current favorite: Kalieb's Dream, a self-published Amazon book that is just fucking insane. Here is a list of books they have covered.

It's usually very funny.

Top Bottom