"I have, like, a pipebomb in my chest. It's about to explode! That's my heart by the way. My heart is the pipebomb and it's about to explode with, like, love and care"Chikafuji Lisa

Art of Clipping/Translations

The Rrat

Ratgirl-idol Connoisseur
Early Adopter
Does anyone have a good method of downloading parts of streams without downloading the whole source video? So basically only downloading the snippet you want for a clip.

Last edited:

Shuba Saber

MPP
Early Adopter
Does anyone have a good method of downloading parts of streams without downloading the whole source video? So basically only downloading the snippet you want for a clip.
Someone here recommended it before I've been using OBS to just record the parts I wanna clip. It's worked well with no issues so far and the quality is nice without having huge file sizes.

The Rrat

Ratgirl-idol Connoisseur
Early Adopter
Someone here recommended it before I've been using OBS to just record the parts I wanna clip. It's worked well with no issues so far and the quality is nice without having huge file sizes.
Well, the only issue with that is I want to clip multiple streams going back to 2021.
:BijouBijou:

I may have to just suck it up and download all the VODs. I can at least automate the download and cutting of the clips with ytdlp/ffmpeg, just wanted to see if I could cut down on the time spent downloading.

21st Century Pipkin Man

rabbit's foot, vomit drawer
Well, the only issue with that is I want to clip multiple streams going back to 2021.

I may have to just suck it up and download all the VODs. I can at least automate the download and cutting of the clips with ytdlp/ffmpeg, just wanted to see if I could cut down on the time spent downloading.
I'm certain you can do this with ytdlp/ffmpeg, here's what I'd written down for myself to use with ytdlp at some point. I had used it with Twitch, but I assume it works with YouTube:
--external-downloader ffmpeg --external-downloader-args "ffmpeg_i:-ss 04:42:00 -to 05:00:00"

GOD'S STRONGEST BUILDERBEAR

"Shut up, Dazzle. I will clip your balls" -SB
Early Adopter

yt-dlp [link] -format mp4 -download_sections "*[time from] - [time to]"

The Rrat

Ratgirl-idol Connoisseur
Early Adopter
I'm certain you can do this with ytdlp/ffmpeg, here's what I'd written down for myself to use with ytdlp at some point. I had used it with Twitch, but I assume it works with YouTube:
--external-downloader ffmpeg --external-downloader-args "ffmpeg_i:-ss 04:42:00 -to 05:00:00"
I looked into this more. Turns out ytdlp has a command "--download-segment". There is a forked version that can be used with "--live-from-start", too, that will let you clip live from streams.

Thanks all.

shipmate_F

menhera addicted sister
yt-dlp [link] -format mp4 -download_sections "*[time from] - [time to]"
For that I also add --force-keyframes-at-cuts before -download-sections so it doesn't get a snipet of audio with a frozen screen.

agility_

We have some serious streams to discuss 🔨
Early Adopter
If you have previously downloaded full streams and need just the scissors, Vidcutter does it quick and easy, so you don't have to use the craptacular photo viewer in windows.

Top Bottom